Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hvar - hotel Croatia, do you have any info about it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2006, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for a hotel in Hvar, and there are not too many there – has anyone stayed at Hotel Croatia? Looks very nice, but I can’t find any review of it on any web site.

http://www.hotelcroatia.net/en/croatia.htm

Any info greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 08:19 AM

XYZ99 - I'm not familiar with this hotel - I think it's located between th main town and Podstine - I had heard that there was a more "upscale" hotel in that area but could never find it - maybe this it is, not sure. It looks nice - and it's reasonable - I would ask for an exact location in relation to the main town.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 09:40 AM

try the most recent edition of Gourmet magazine, they had some (probably upscale) suggestions.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 09:53 AM

Hey Trentino - I don't get Gourmet - any chance you could say what places they suggested on Hvar?
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 10:05 AM

actually Gourmet recommended Hotel Adriatic and the restaurant Macondo - not a very indepth article and rather safe standard choices.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

Hotel Adriatic is going through major renovation, they cannot confirm a Sept reservation, so this is the reason I am looking ‘elsewhere’.

C_P, thanks for the restaurant recommendation – I google’ed it, it seems a lot of people like it, so we will probably try it. If we don’t like it, don’t worry, I know it’s Gourmet’s recommendation, not yours. But if we do like it, I’ll give you all the credit

I will let you know if/when I hear back from Hotel Croatia. Thanks

Old Jan 17th, 2006, 04:14 PM

xyz

add this restaurant to you list in Hvar:
Gastronomico Junior. If you like mussels, please have them.

We liked it better than Macundo.

If you sit outside, there will be an occasional cat wander up (very politely) to the table. They are just wanting those fish eyes you are not going to eat anyway....

Also there is a white wine called Zavala Hvarsko Vinogoric. I don't even like white wine and this one was superb. Local wine, tasting faintly of lavender....
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

Offwego,
Thanks for the restaurant (and wine, of course) recommendation. Now it’s on the list!

I’m not crazy about mussels, but that’s maybe because I had little exposure to good mussels dishes. However, I’m adventurous when it comes to food, so I’ll definitely try them. And I love fish and other seafood and white wine, so I think I’ll love Croatia.

And I’ll be generous to that wandering cat – I’ll have enough fish to make sure he/she gets enough fish eyes
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 05:26 PM

xyz,

I will also be in Hvar in September 2006 for just 2 nights (20th-22nd) and have just started researching accommodations. I checked out the Hotel Croatia website you posted here and it looks pretty nice. Have you already booked your reservation? I'm trying to decide if I should book now or wait to see if there are any other recommendations.

If you come across any other reviews of this hotel please post here and I will do likewise to see what other opinions are.

Thanks so much!
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 05:52 PM

HVAR
Menego
http://www.menego.hr/
Vl. Dinko Kovacevi, Hvar Grad, Hvar
Dinko's food still reflects good quality and flavor. New item this year - stuffed peppers. We order prust, octopus salad, a house salad, marinated anchovies and stuffed peppers. Dinko spoiled me my first year with his marinated anchovies - though sadly for me he has not repeated the dish exactely but still serve tasty variations. My friend didn't warm up to the place or food - he thought everything was pickled (marinated I said) and the prust hanging
from the rafters smelled a bit musty (I didn't smell anything). The wine once again had a certain yeast/bread like quality to it - very unique.

Golden Shell
Petra Hektorovica 8, Hvar Grad, Hvar
Ivo is still serving great food - my friend and I started off with salads and then order whole grilled fish - scorpino and orada. A bottle of red plavic rounded out the meal. For dessert  Ivo treated us to home pear brandy - golden nectar with a punch. Will be back again next year.

Jurin Podrum
Duonja kola, Stari Grad, Hvar
Started with the octopus salad - tender chucks of flesh mixed with juicy tomatoes and a restrained sprinkling of parsley.  2 years ago I had the lobster spaghetti here - I have been trying to get back to Jurim Podrum every time I've returned to Hvar because it was so good. This year I was able to get back and see if the lobster spaghetti was a good as I remember. While not as light as the first - this version was a bit more hearty but still good. Get a table outside on one of the quiet lanes, sit back, relax and enjoy a long leisurely lunch. The food is well prepared and straight-forward. I'll be back next year.

Eremitaz
Stari Grad, Hvar
http://www.stari-grad-faros.hr/eremitaz/
I had my last meal here. Located on the north side of the bay, overlooking the sea - I started with frutti de mare risotto - lots of clams, mussels and shrimp and toothsome rice. Followed by double stripe bream (which were small in size) - being that I rode a vespa, I only had a 1/2 liter of house white. Wish I had ordered scorpino or orada for my last meal - but was still full from lunch - good setting.

Knoba Humac
Humac, Hvar
http://www.humac.info/
Konoba Humac is located east of Jelsa. You'll have take a rock filled, dirt road to reach this konoba but the effort is well rewarded. The setting looks out towards Brac - you sit beneath trees amid a cluster of stone houses. Order a glass of the strong red plavic and take in the view, and let the tranquilty of the setting work it's magic. All the food is locally produced. You must order 'under the bell' type dishes in advance.   I started with  salted sardines which were bathed in fresh olive oil. The lamb was incredibly tender and juicy - the thinly sliced grilled potatoes slightly smoky from the grill.  The home made plavic wine is robust and strong. Highly recommended.

Knoba Dvor Dubokovic
Pitve, Hvar
Located in Pitve - which overlooks Jelsa. We arrived about an hour before sunset and retreated to the upstairs table which has an incredible view looking out over vineyards towards the island of Brac. After complimentary aperitifs of homemade brandies - we started with salted sardines and a bottle of their red (which was very good). We meandered down to where the octopus under the bell was cooking and talk with Mr. Dubokovic. Back upstairs we had shells buzara - which was mussels, clams and scampi in a tomato-wine broth and another bottle of red. The shelsl were okay - the mussels were a bit small and gritty. The 'octopus under the bell' dish was more rustic than the version at Taverna Riva in Bol but just as good. The flesh was so tender and meaty - the potatoes and carrots roasted beautifully. For dessert we had some home made brandy. Highly recommended.

Konoba Lovrincevic
Dubovica, Hvar
Dubovica is located on a secluded bay and can only be reach by footpath. There is only one restaurant in the cove. We swam, caught some sun, the gentle lapping of the waves lulled us to sleep, sailboats drifted on the horizon. We retreated under the palm thatched roof and ordered octopus salad, grilled orada and a liter of house white. The real insight was when I order a glass of prosec - last year it was a deep ruby red, this year a light pink. When I asked about the color - the waiter said, "a new year, new grapes, different color".
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 06:01 PM

this didn't post with my previous post...

I was on the islands of Brac and Hvar in Sept. 2005. Macondo is good but the last time I had dinner there service was a bit harried and rushed - the price of success.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

Carta,
Thanks a lot, there seem to be there enough restaurants to keep us busy (and satisfied) for more than 3 days that we have available….can I go now?

LowCountry,
I emailed Hotel Croatia asking them to describe their location. I will post again when they get back to me.
I searched a lot for accommodation in Hvar. All the apartments I really liked would only rent for the full week. The others, who would rent for a few days only, were ok. We’re not fussy, we don’t require luxury but what I was looking for in Hvar was good location (not in the center of the town, I’m a very light sleeper and I read a lot about bars and noise near the habor), sea view and a terrace. And of course, clean and with private bathroom.

I found this hotel as a link on one other web site listing tons of other private accommodations and hotels – I really had to go thorough each of them. I tried to google it, but there’s very little info out there.

If they write back (and they’re really outside the town, but only 10 minutes away), I will probably book with them. Please post back here if you find anything (good or bad).
Thanks
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 07:24 PM

we too tried to book the adriatica for june 2006 but could not do it because of the renovation. they are part of a chain, and e-mailed me a sight with their other hvar hotels................
http://www.suncanihvar.hr/eng_dobrodosli.htm
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 07:42 PM

I have what might be a silly question - but what is an "under the bell" meal? What is "prust"?

Also, did you find there were many non-fish choices at restaurants? I love to vacation on the water but the downside to that is fish fish fish. I hate fish. What does octopus taste like?

I am also finding Hvar hotels difficult- thanks for the tip on Hotel Croatia, will check it out. We are likely to have a car so the distance should be ok.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 10:11 PM

HappyCheesehead
Prust is air dried ham - their version of prosciutto. A little more rustic though I have had some wonderfully silky smooth prust. "Under the bell" dishes are cooked under a metal bell covered with wood embers - they can do lamb, octopus, veal - the food is slowly cooked. Meat is actually less expensive than fish - and I found the lamb and steaks very good quality. Octopus has an almost fillet mignon firmness - the flesh is firm and not fishy - it's delicious.
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 01:24 AM

Bookmarking...
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 06:52 PM

Carta Pisana: Thank you! I think "under the bell" sounds very interesting and I will look for it. Octopus too!
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

LowCountry,
I received an email back from Hotel Croatia – they are located between the town center and hotel Podstine on the seaside, but they are full for the days I need (Sept 9-12). Give them a try, maybe you are luckier.

I got some other responses from other private apartments I emailed before – they are all booked already for the days I need. This is such a surprise for me; I did not expect to have any problems so many months in advance…
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 08:26 AM

xyz,

Thanks for the heads-up, I will email the hotel and see if there is availability for the nights I'm looking for. I will be there a week later then you, so maybe I will have a bit more luck.

Happy Traveling!
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 08:50 AM

xyz99 - I had emailed Hotel Croatia too - got the same answer, I had inquired about availability any night between Sept 8-11. I am thinking we may just take a day trip to Hvar. I don't really relish that idea, but frankly I do not really like what I see of the hotels. The difficulty of finding accommodation is starting to put me off a bit too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -