Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hut to Hut Hiking-Grindewald/Kandersteg (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hut-to-hut-hiking-grindewald-kandersteg-598164/)

krissykris Mar 10th, 2006 06:32 PM

Hut to Hut Hiking-Grindewald/Kandersteg

My hubby and I want to do hut to hut hiking around Grindewald/Murren/Kandersteg area and stay in these towns or otherwise find a route that will work for us? We have 6 nights and can hike 1o-12 miles, up to 3500p' per day. We have found guided tours to be too expensive. Need suggestions please. Many Many thanks!

Ingo Mar 11th, 2006 03:30 AM

Did you see my reply to your earlier post?

waggis Mar 11th, 2006 05:54 AM

While in Kandersteg, you can hike
1.) In the upper Kiental: from Griesalp to Ober Bund to Gamchi and back to Griesalp. There are alpine huts along the way where you can stay overnight. Estimated duration 3 1/2 hrs.) Transportation from Kandersteg to Griesalp via postalbus (PTT). Hike route starts at "Hotel Griesalp" in Griesalp.

2.) Gemmiroute: from Sunnbühl to Gällihorn to Wyssi Flue to Schwarzgrätli to Schwarenbach and back to Sunnbühl. Estimated duration 4 3/4 hrs.)
Transportation from Kandersteg by postalbus (PTT) to Eggeschwand. From Eggeschwand by gondola to Sunnbühl). There's a restaurant at the gondola station Sunnbühl and at Schwarenbach, the inn "Schwarenbach" (Lenin & Picasso stayed there overnight. Through Zacharias Werner & Maupassant the inn was mentioned in literature.)

3.) From Kandersteg by Gondola to Oeschinensee. Hike to Hohtürli (overnight in alpine hut) Blüemlisalp region and back to Kandersteg. We hiked a loop. I don't remember off-hand the starting point. But I do remember sitting in a "field" of flowering "Alpenrosen" (low-growing alpine rhododendrons) looking towards the Niesen, watching the sunset...:-)

There are many more, e.g. from Adelboden to the Hahnenmoos. Or Frutigtal, Gasterntal, etc. No need to hire a guide for any of these hikes but you need maps and guide books. See if Kümmerly & Frey have guide books in English. Schad & Frey publish maps (Wanderkarte). Sorry, can't look it up for you....I'm off to the horse races ;-)

brookwood Mar 11th, 2006 09:13 AM

You can get some good detail from the book by Kev Reynolds on the Berner Oberland.
"the Bernese Alps, A Walking Guide".

It may take a web search to find a copy.

I think the suggestion by Waggis is a good one. You can start in Mürren and go as far as the Rostockhütte. Then climb the Sefinenfurka and take the trail to the Blumlisalp and find the hut there. And go to Kandersteg.

Or go to Griesalp on another leg.

I was in Griesalp last summer, and we rode up on the shuttle bus from Kiental.
We returned the same way. The road is very steep, 28%.

krissykris Mar 12th, 2006 06:17 PM

Ingo, My apologies for not seeing your response to my old thread while I was on my honeymoon in Bora Bora. I didn't know how to go back and sort to find something almost a month old.
I will review your suggestions with my hike books. I'm not sure I've seen many of those you mentioned, but I definitely appreciate your help.