Reload this Page >

Husband needs a root canal - How to file a claim with travel insurance

Notices

Old Nov 30th, 2019, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now we have a new problem - my sweet husband has developed sharp pain in a lower molar. Dentist started him on antibiotics and wants to see him first thing Monday morning do "possibly" doing a root canal.
Here is my concern. Dentist thinks the procedure can be completed in one visit - my husband can continue on antibiotics and pain killer and we can STILL make the trip to Paris on Tuesday .

Help- is the dentist being overly optimistic ? I told the dentist we have trip insurance but he seems reluctant to get involved . If the dentist does not write a note , insurance will not process our claim .

Any one have any experience trying to cancel a trip and file insurance claim ?
Should we cancel flight and hotel now or wait and see how the dental work goes?

I do not like being in limbo as you can imagine

I have another thread about the upcoming Train Strike Dec 5 but this is new problem
Old Nov 30th, 2019, 04:20 PM

Why would the trip insurance cover a pre-existing dental problem?
Old Nov 30th, 2019, 04:57 PM

It is not a big deal. They can fix very easy. Don't cancel the trip over a tooth. Not sure if the insurance would cover. I know my friend had open heart surgery several days before we were to leave for Scotland and the Doctor had to fill out paperwork. Then they tried saying she has a pre-existing condition but didn't. It was out of the blue. She did get the plane ticket money back but that was it. We now buy trip insurance through a company not the airline.
Old Nov 30th, 2019, 05:47 PM

No one can predict how the procedure will go. I've had two root canals, both done by an endodontist to whom I was referred by my regular dentist. I could have traveled the day after one of them. It was a "text book" procedure with no complications, no pain. But I couldn't have traveled the day after the other root canal because the endodontist determined I needed to have the tooth extracted. There was a crack in the root that was undetectable on x-rays. I didn't have any pain or complications after the extraction, but the endodontist did want to see me a couple of days later just to follow up.
Old Nov 30th, 2019, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all of your insights

Keeping fingers crossed for a good outcome on Monday !
Old Nov 30th, 2019, 07:33 PM

I have experience in trip insurance claims and for root canals.
We have canceled several big trips, one a week before leaving, as unplanned surgery was needed. No letter is written rather a form is filled out by the doctor. Some insurance companies required the actual doctor’s medical notes.
I had an emergency root canal on Wednesday. I have been eating soft foods and taking 3Advil on a schedule to reduce inflammation which causes pain.. That is it. Yes it hurts at times but it would not stop a trip for me. You should be able to go on your trip. If there is a delay, trip insurance should cover you
Old Nov 30th, 2019, 11:36 PM

Everyone's different, but I just had a root canal about 5 weeks ago, a week before I left for a 3.5 week vacation. I'd had a toothache for more than a week, which only got worse.. I, too, thought I would have to cancel my vacation. I saw my regular dentist, who took x-rays, prescribed a course of antibiotics for my infection, and referred me to an endodontist for a root canal.
My endodontist was confidant that everything went well, but wrote me a prescription for antibiotics, more for my peace of mind. I also took along Panadol (paracetemol) and ibuprofen for pain and inflammation.
I didn't have any problems at all with my teeth, gums or roots while on vacation. So please try to be optimistic; don't yet cancel your trip.
Keep in mind every patient is different. Your husband won't have the same problem I had that necessitated a root canal. I needed a root canal on a tooth with a crown on it, which is next to a dental implant. As my dentist said, "You have a complicated mouth."
My endondontist taught for many years at our local dental school.

Last edited by Diamantina; Nov 30th, 2019 at 11:42 PM.
Old Dec 1st, 2019, 03:10 AM

Unfortunately, I had several root canal treatments. The last one two months ago.
From my experience, I never had pain AFTER the treatment.
The treatment itself can (but does not have to) be painful if the inflammation keeps the local anaestetic from working properly.
But once the canal had been emptied, cleaned, disinfected, filled with medication and sealed again, I never experienced pain.
If the treatment could not be finished in one sitting, i.e. if the medication needed to be replaced once or twice, there had been a certain "odd" feeling in the meantime. But no pain.
But that's just my personal anecdotal "evidence".
Old Dec 1st, 2019, 03:39 AM

I've had a couple of root canal treatments and none of them have ever been painful, not during nor after the treatment. I have never had the treatment completed in one appointment, they have all been done in 2 appointments. With one procedure, I had to fly somewhere between the 2 treatments, the endodontist said it was OK to do that and it was (since dental pain can occur when flying due to air pressure changes.)
Old Dec 1st, 2019, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

" I needed a root canal on a tooth with a crown on it, which is next to a dental implant. As my dentist said, "You have a complicated mouth." "

Diamantina - that statement made me smile since my husband is dealing with the very same scenario

All of your responses have me thinking more positive

Thank you
Old Dec 1st, 2019, 12:52 PM

Your husband has "a complicated mouth' as well! My endodontist drilled a fine hole through the crown to get to my root, which was dying, then filled the passage with a temporary material, to be replaced in January (the earliest I could get an appt.). So far, so good (knock on wood).
Old Dec 2nd, 2019, 04:17 AM

I once had a root canal and it was not pretty. It was also during a trip, Turkey. It was a very nice dentist after it was done and the anesthesia was not effective anymore, I was in terrible pain. I had to go back to do it one more time. I can't remember what we did with the insurance,
I guess its all up to your husband and if the pain is tolerable. He is the one who has to decide.....
Old Dec 2nd, 2019, 07:52 AM

I've had five root canals, the last one 24 hours before we moved to France permanently, so there was no possibility of follow-up care from my dentist. I had absolutely zero pain or discomfort with any of them. Just in and out of the chair in an hour or so and no need for even an Ibuprofen afterwards. Took it easy, drank plenty of liquids, and that was that.

If you have a "complicated mouth" or anticipate problems, find a French dentist. Even if trip insurance doesn't cover it, it will only cost you 25-30 euros. France does have excellent pain medications, too, should you need them.