Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Husband has better idea than me? Forget a sight because of luggage in car?

Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 08:24 PM
Original Poster

For our second city stop, our plan is to pick up a rental car in Rome on our last day there and make way to Itri, (LT) near Gaeta to visit cousins. I thought it would be great to stop off to see one of these catacombs- San Callisto or Santa Domitilla on Appian way and Ardeatina way.

Now, after all my looking into both of these and setting car up my husband says it is not a good idea to have all our luggage in car while at these catacombs. I was leaning to go to the Domitilla ones as Callisto is more crowded with bigger parking lot to accommodate tour buses. Maybe I should now see this one? More action in parking lot so no one gets idea to rob our lot? I really do not know how safe our belongings would fare? Is it a bad idea? Maybe just see catacombs in Rome and forget these on way to Itri? Just because of luggage?

We will have 4 pieces of luggage and some smaller pieces in a station wagon trunk. Even if it has a cargo cover I don't think we can use it with the way we might have to stand luggages up. It might be out in open. Get towels to cover all? What do you think?
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 09:07 PM

Ciaodeb, I am sure there are many on here who have had this same thought before, ....There is no way I would leave my luggage in the car and leave it out of my sight, but then I am one of those people who uses a chain in the front of the train for my luggage. It would ruin my vacation if something were stolen, covering things up just doesn't stop theives, horrible creatures of the earth that they are. IMO....
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 10:19 PM

Hi again ciaodeb. How many are in your group? I had the impression it was just you and your husband but maybe I am wrong.

In any case since you are taking the train from Venice to Rome I would strongly suggest you not have more than one suitcase per person plus one small carryon.

Big suitcases while travelling by train are not the best idea. And if it is just you and your husband two suitcases person is a terrible idea for train travel.

But in any case, my husband and I always had luggage in the trunk of our car (we always had a Fiat) and since we travelled around Italy for two months each trip we often parked the car and enjoyed restaurants, sights and sites etc., and fortunatly never had a problem. But we never had anything inside the car including maps or whatever.

If luggage is obvious, no I wouldn't want to leave the car for any length of time ciaodeb.

Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 12:38 AM

A friend of mine is married to someone from the south of Naples. One year he drove from Switzerland to Naples. Near Naples, he stopped at a rest stop. His daughter was sleeping in the car so he left her and went in quickly to get something. (A normal thing to do about 20 years ago). When he came back, the luggage was missing from the inside of his car and his daughter was still sleeping.

He never left his daughter or his luggage alone inside the car again.

Another year and again near Naples, he parked his car in a "secure" parking lot. When he came back, his tires were stolen.

Don't you just love horror stories?
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 01:11 AM

Yeah, sure the thieves won't suspect there is lugguge under the towels.. LOL, come on, that is funny.

Sounds like you have luggage issues to begin with( way too much) . Take less so so if fits in trunk first of all. And I would suggest you go and see Catacombs and hubby waits by car and reads a book( I assumed he was not really interested in this site, and so with my hubby and I we never hold the other one back) Car will be safe with hubby.
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

Hi all, I appreciate all comments.

LoveItaly, thanks again for reply, how wonderful to travel around Italy for two months! We are four, husband and me, daughter 15 and son 12.

Great horror stories and we will have one luggage each and maybe 2-3 small carry ons. We rented a Fiat Croma Intermediate wagon (and YEA! manual as I am a manual driver!) and just called Kemwell and they said it should have a cover but I know from having an Audi wagon and now another German one that the cover allows only ~1'of space under it and there is no way 4 luggages will fit under cover.

Good idea to take turns or just not go. Since we are cutting Rome stay from 3 to 2 days, giving one more day to cousins (now 2 for them as haven't seen them since '93), taking bus tour there may consume too much Rome time.

Does anyone know how far out of Rome these catacombs are? They are the Santa Domitilla on Appian Way. Maybe it is closer to my cousins near Gaeta? They are 1 hour south of Rome. I bet, though, they are closer to Rome.

Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 11:31 AM

Luggage is okay locked in the trunk of the car. There should be NOTHING visible insie the car.

If there are only 2 of you why in the world do you have a station wagon. Just rent a normal sedan iwht a trunk that can easily hold normal luggage for 2 people.

And - if you try to do trains with all that luggage you will regret it. No fun dragging it around stations, up sets of steep narrow steps and/or trying to lift overhed. (On trains I don't let luggage out of my sight.)
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 12:20 PM

i shuddered when i read your post.

20 years ago, my parents took my brother and i on a road trip through europe for the summer. by the time we hit italy, we already toured 6 other countries (read: LOTS of souvenirs).

we had a station wagon (with no tonneau cover) and ALL of our luggage was stolen while our car was parked outside of a rest station near florence. my most vivid memories of italy ... sitting in a police station while my dad argued with the cops and my mom sat on the bench sobbing! NOT FUN!!!

fast forward 20 years, i am paranoid and do not leave ANYTHING of ANY value in the car when traveling (even in north america). i have a station wagon now and even with my tonneau cover 'hiding' any valuables, i STILL won't leave luggage in the car.

don't do it.
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 12:34 PM
LJ

We had the opportunity to live in Italy for some time. And,oc course, we traveled frequently WITH luggage in our car (in the trunk).

But we were taught a trick by a relative who lives in an area of Italy where theft of tourists is sadly frequent. He suggested we ditch the tour books strewn all over the car and pick up a copy of a local newspaper and leave it across the front seat, as if just dropped for a moment.

Never got robbed.
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 12:54 PM

My car was robbed in Florence many years ago, but the thieves didn't realize that my car had two trunks, one in front and one in back. They just opened the one in back. My car had American forces license plates, which I guess was a signal that we'd be good pickings.

I'd never leave luggage, even covered, in a car in Italy.

I like the idea of putting the newspaper on the seat.
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 12:56 PM

In all of my driving trips across Italy the car was never robbed but that doesn't mean it can't happen. It happens every day. We chanced it.

I know that the catacombs have so many tourists that it would be a good spot to loot a car, especially if a lookout knows you are taking an underground tour.

It probably won't be robbed but it could very well be robbed. I would take a cab from the hotel before you leave the hotel and leave your luggage with them.
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 01:29 PM

We have had our cars broken into while parked in our drive in the USA. So I never think it is a good idea to leave anything visible at any time that you would have to replace.

When we rode the train we all had one suitcase and one backpack or purse. It was all we could manage to load that. Some did have larger luggage but it seemed to be a hassle.
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 01:32 PM

i have never researched catacombs.. but have seen some and would opt for the ones nearest where you can safely leave your luggage at hotel. if this is rome.. then do it there unless someone can recommend more intresting ones.

p.s. i donīt care if i ever see another one, either.
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

<<If there are only 2 of you why in the world do you have a station wagon. Just rent a normal sedan iwht a trunk that can easily hold normal luggage for 2 people.>>

OK, we are four people with one luggage each and couple of carry ons. My apologies for not mentioning. We will now NOT go with car, maybe bus, leaving all our luggage with hotel. Newspaper good idea but don't want to chance as will have a station wagon and not a sedan where luggage is COMPLETELY hidden in trunk.

We will take only ONE train in trip, a 4 hr. ride from Venice to Rome. We looked into flying but best deal was from airport outside Venice by 20 miles and with a very early flight, it was too burdensome to make it so a train it will be.

Thanks to all who replied! Your comments well taken.

??? Does anyone know which catacombs are best to see- those in Rome center or outside on Via Appia? I thought the latter.
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 09:54 PM

It just takes a few seconds to break a window....I found out the hard way outside of Marseille many moons ago.

Don't leave anything in a car. In Italy I have seen the steering wheel locked with a bar (and sometimes chains) and many leave the glove compartment open so it is most evident there is nothing of interest inside; many dod this with the trunk/boot cover as well-leaving it open so it is apparent it's empty.

It was a pain, but the 4 of us really wanted to visit a couple of sites while we were in transit between stay hotels. Our solution was to go two by two in turn, with one pair lunching/having an apero while the other pair went and did the tourist thing; then we changed roles. One time (Albi) I stayed with the car because I had already visit the city and cathedral before. It wasn't ideal, but with an overloaded car at the end of an 8 week trip it worked for us.