Nancy or Troyes

Old Feb 15th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nancy or Troyes

We will be driving from Alsace back to Paris in late August this year. At the moment I have allowed 2 days for the trip given we are travelling with a toddler.

Could someone advise which is a better overnight stop, Nancy or Troyes? and for any particular reasons or sights?

Many thanks!

s
Old Feb 16th, 2008, 02:10 AM

Hi Swagman
Definitely Troyes. It is a beautiful, clean, friendly and prosperous city with street after street of gorgeously painted sixteenth century houses, charming cafes, excellent restaurants (try Valentinos), wonderful museums. It has a renowned cathedral, a superb Tools museum which you don't have to be male to find fascinating, and much else besides.
St. Pantaleon is an interesting church, filled with sculpture of the School of Troyes. (Rescued after the Revolution by one of its curés). Troyes is also almost flat to walk around and just a bus ride away are some of the largest bargain fashion outlets representing the big brand names at Macarthur Glen and 2 other sites - if that interests you?
We booked for 4 days and added three on. I plan to revisit, just loved it. On the other hand, while Nancy has Place Stanislaus, some interesting Art nouveau architecture and other products of the School of Nancy it is dirtier, unfriendlier (IMHO) and just not in the same class. The Musee d'École de Nancy is excellent, a superb collection in a private home, now a museum only a short bus ride from the centre and there is also an excellent collection of glass in the basement of the Musee - Galle, Daum etc.
That said we were pleased to leave after 3 days.
So there you are ...enjoy wherever you choose ... BTW are you an Oz?
Old Feb 16th, 2008, 02:25 AM

Have not been to seemingly wondrous Troyes - read lots of rave reviews about it

but did just go to Nancy as it's IMO also one of France's finest regional cities

It's however much farther away from Paris so not a half way stop

neither is Troyes, practically on Paris' doorstep. Troyes it would seem without looking at the map is also a bit out of your direct route perhaps.

Also consider Reims if you haven't been there - fantastic cathedral and champagne caves
Old Feb 16th, 2008, 04:08 AM
ira

Hi S,

I would spend another 1.5 days in Alsace/Lorraine and visit Nancy.

From there you can take the TGV to Paris - 1:30 hr 26E pp baby is free.

Old Feb 16th, 2008, 07:25 AM

If you take the more southern route and stop in Troyes, you should visit the Ronchamp chapel on the way. The last part of this album is relevant to your itinerary:

http://tinyurl.com/2qcfh4
Old Feb 16th, 2008, 08:42 AM

We've visited both cities - and it's a toss-up. Pick whichever one has the best travel connections.

Stu Dudley
Old Feb 16th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your input. Troyes seems to get the thumbs up here!

To be exact, we'll be driving from Colmar to Paris. Google Map suggests a northern route going pass Metz and Reims whilst ViaMichelin advises a lower route via Nancy. Not sure which one is the best.

francophiletassie, yes I too am from the land downunder, based in Sydney actually and I assume you are from the apple isle?!

s
Old Feb 16th, 2008, 03:36 PM

I would take an even more southern route via Belfort, Vésoul and Langres. That's because if one is interested in architecture, Ronchamp is a must.
Old Feb 16th, 2008, 06:33 PM

I'd look at information in a guidbook and decide which city has things you are most interested in. I've been to both and personally found Nancy much more interesting. Troyes is relatively pleasant, but I didn't think there was anything that outstanding in it worth seeing. In Nancy, I was particularly interested in the Art Nouveau museum, as that was a center of a certain school, and the main place also seemed very attractive and rather unique. There is one of the best regional art museums in France in Nancy.

Old Feb 17th, 2008, 02:11 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Another vote for Nancy.

Strangely enough, to the French, Troyes is famous only for its numerous outlet malls. It is the outlet store capital of France.
Old Feb 17th, 2008, 03:08 AM
Original Poster

Better not show my wife the last post - she'd want to stay for a week!!!

s
Old Feb 17th, 2008, 08:37 AM

The tool museum in Troyes offers a fascinating look at pre-industrial production.