Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hungary, Slovenia, Croatia, Turkey, Greece and Italy - need logistics/transportation advice!

Hungary, Slovenia, Croatia, Turkey, Greece and Italy - need logistics/transportation advice!

Feb 7th, 2005, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Hello,

I am helping a friend plan a two month trip to Europe in May/June of this year, and because I have had so many wonderful ideas for my own vacations from reading the posts here, I told her I'd "ask the travel board people" what she should do as far as arranging these countries in some sort of order that makes sense logistically. I am joining her for the first part of the trip where we will be going to Munich, Prague, Vienna and ending in Salzburg. From there I go back to Munich to fly home and she will continue on from Salzburg. She would like to visit Hungary, Slovenia, Croatia, Turkey, Greece and end in Italy (flying home out of London, and we figured Rome would be an easy place to get to London from...). So here are my questions:

1. The BIG question: In terms of order, she wants to structure it so that she goes from Turkey-Greece-Italy at the end. That part we have. The question is, in what order should she do Slovenia, Croatia, and Hungary (keeping in mind she is coming from Salzburg and needs to get to Istanbul after)? Any ideas?

2. Is there a ferry from Turkey to Ios or Santorini? She wants to stop there on her way to Athens.

3. Is one week enough for Turkey (see wants to see Istanbul but is not sure what else, she likes outdoors and beaches though)?

4. Is one week too much for Croatia? We know very little about this country but have heard in passing that it's great, so we just need to get an idea of how much time she should allot for this.

If anyone could help us with any of these questions, we'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Feb 7th, 2005, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Topping...cause I really want to help my friend with some info!
Feb 8th, 2005, 09:07 AM

Your question is really huge. I can offer a couple of general suggestions.
A week is not too much for Croatia. We spent a little more than a week there and loved it-still many things we want to come back some day and see.
We landed in Slovenia, went to Venice and then to Croatia. It's doable but takes some creativity. Especially if you get to the south of Croatia, there are no train lines; it's not like the rest of Europe where you can just jump on a train whenever.
Web site www.visit-croatia.co/uk has many excellent resources on planes, ferries, etc., and getting to Croatia from Slovenia, Austria and Italy. Good luck!
Feb 9th, 2005, 11:46 PM

This is a very big question but I will take a stab at it.

The end part if easy. There are ferries from Kusadasi to Samos and other points and then, she can wind her way through the islands to Santorini. There are also ferries from Greece to Brindisi, Italy and then, she can wind her way up or through Italy to Rome. BTw, with the budget airlines, London is very easy to reach from almost any point in Europe.

OK, starting the other way. I assume that she will be relying on trains and buses? Salzburg to Ljubljana is about 4 hours and easy. From Lj, she can take trips to many points in Slovenia including Bled, Postojna caves, Piran etc. I would then make my way East to Hungary. Lj-Budapest is about 5 hours (drive). Explore Hungary, which shares a large border with Croatia. When she is tired of Hungary, aim SW to Croatia and visit Plitvice on the way to the coast. Perhaps, go South quickly and work your way N from Dubrovnik, checking out Split, Trogir etc. From Zagreb, catch an inexpensive flight to Istanbul (that is the tricky connection, unless you would like to explore Monte Negro, Budlgaria and/or Romania). Spend time in Istanbul, visit Ephesus and explore the coast. Then, ferry your way west.

Obviously, a lot more research needs to be done, but that's my first crack!
Cheers,
Jan
Feb 10th, 2005, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies so far. I know, it's a huge huge question, which is why I think she is quite overwhelmed right now. I'm going to refer her to these responses and tell her to start looking at inexpensive flights between Croatia and Turkey. Any further help/comments would still be welcomed, of course
Feb 11th, 2005, 07:13 AM

One thing that really helped me was having a good guidebook...I used Lonely Planet for Croatia. One that details connections between cities, for example, tells you that you can get from X to Y once a day by train, and it will take 12 hours, or by plane three times a day, and it will take two hours. That way, if she gets a general itinerary planned out, she can check to see if its feasible logistically.