Hungary, Prague, Vienna shopping -what to buy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19th, 2007, 09:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! I will be in Hungary (mostly Budapest, also Pecs, Sopron, Szentendre, Lake Balaton, Hevis) for Christmas, and I will make short trips to Prague and Vienna. Anything you highly recommend that I buy while I am there? Mozart chocolates? Aunt Ilcsi skin care from Budapest? Folk art items?
I welcome your suggestions!
Old Nov 21st, 2007, 06:03 AM

Saira
I know weight is a problem with gifts, but I recommend the lovely crystal in Prague and you can find small pieces that are good value (eg egg sized pieces with intricate "interior" colored thingys - their density means they are not fragile). The colored table cloths are folk-arty and light weight. Paprika! - easy to carry and can be bought in a colorful little sachets (go to the big covered market near the 7th bridge - I think - in Pest for lots of choices, including some lovely local china with unusual black/white design motifs, local lace, leather etc). Skip the usual chocs that are availabe in the US and go for the unusual and artistic of which there are plenty to choose from, but they will be relatively expensive. Locally made artisan jewellry is also a good gift.
Happy shopping.
Old Nov 21st, 2007, 08:20 AM

What is your taste and budget? Are you looking for clothes, accessories, art, crafts, edibles, housewares?
I always bring back Meinl brand coffee from Vienna, purchased at the Meinl store on the Graben near St. Stephan's, right in the heart of Vienna. They also have an excellent selection of Austrian wines.
http://www.meinlamgraben.at/

I also make a beeline to the Gruene Erde (Green Earth) store on 11 Mariahilfer Strasse for their fantastic organic towels and bedlinens (I like the fern design) and other things for the home.
http://www.grueneerde.com/de/intro.php
Old Nov 21st, 2007, 09:21 PM

Garnets are an excellent buy in Prague.
Old Nov 21st, 2007, 10:08 PM

I agree with PatfromLA on purchasing crystal in Prague. It is very inexpensive (compared to the US or Canada) and unique. I purchased a large Preciosa crystal necklace last summer that would have easily cost 4-5X more in the US, and have had a million complements on it. It's a wonderful purchase!! And lots of shops to choose from.

Happy Shopping Saira!!
Old Nov 22nd, 2007, 12:30 AM

If you like tea, two good shops near Cathedral, Haas & Haas is more famous, but I like the tea at a shop on Wollzellz (number??, on righthand side if you come from the cathedral) Street better.
Old Nov 22nd, 2007, 04:05 AM

JudyC... I think you mean the tea shop Schönbichler at Wollzeile 4 in Vienna.
Old Nov 23rd, 2007, 06:53 PM

I have only been to Budapest of your choices. I bought some lovely lace work pieces at the Central Market, some nesting dolls from street vendors that my 13yo loved and some crystal with beautiful colored insets in the cut crystal for my husband. The crystal was the most expensive of the souvenirs, but I went to a store that was recommended in every travel book I read on Budapest--clearly marked as expensive but authentic. I'll have to look up the name of the store again. They packed things up extremely well and their customer service was wonderful. They were on Vaci Ut. down the main shopping district. If you are interested, I'll look for the invoice.
Old Nov 24th, 2007, 11:29 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your kind responses! I appreciate the recommendations.
PatfromLA, I will be sure to get crystal from Prague. I do not have such a huge budget so the egg-sized pieces sound lovely. I have heard that Bohemia and Moser are good brands for crystal and that plenty of people will try to cheat tourists. Does this sound right?
And I will get some lace and paprika from Hungary. Thanks for the recommendations!
Old Nov 24th, 2007, 11:41 PM
Original Poster

BTilke, thank you for your response. I do not have a huge budget, but I will splurge if I love, love something (but then I will splurge just on that one thing).
My boyfriend's sister visited us from Szentendre and brought me some products by Aunt Ilcsi. http://www.ilcsi.com/index.php?set_l...2d661356c710d4
I liked them.
I probably will not want to buy clothes. I like sweet little things to put on my room on ledges. I doubt I can afford art, but I love embroidery work and ceramics. And chocolates would be nice. I don't drink much now. I guess I will see a great variety of precious things in Christmas markets.
Thanks for the Meinl recommendation! I looked them up on the net - seems reasonably priced and..just divine .
I imagine that Gruene Erde must be pricey. But I would check it out regardless. Thanks!
Old Nov 24th, 2007, 11:45 PM
Original Poster

Cheribob, thanks for the recommendation! I probbaly can't afford garnets right now, but I thought I would post this link here as a reference. http://goeasteurope.about.com/od/cze...echgarnets.htm
Old Nov 24th, 2007, 11:48 PM
Original Poster

Italy2006, thanks for the post. I checked out preciosa.com. Stunning.
http://www.preciosa.com/preciosa/en/
Does anyone know if there are factories where you can see the crystal making process. When I was in Venice, I saw the glass blowing and can't forget it.
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 12:03 AM
Original Poster

JudyC and Cowboy, thank you! Kellye
the lacework in Budapest sounds perfect - and I love collecting little dolls from the places I visit. I can look up the crystal retailer in guidebooks - you mention it was recommended. Thank you.