Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hows this Rome hotel location compared to staying near Pantheon?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have already booked the Del Senato in Rome for next June. But a friend recently reccomended the Hotel Bernini Bristol which, I believe is located in the Via Veneto section. How does that area compare with staying near the Pantheon? Would we be able to walk to as many atractions?
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 01:24 PM

I wouldn't even think of trading the Del Senato location for Via Veneto. If your goal is rubbing elbows with well heeled Americans and convention goers in "American style" big hotels, shopping in expensive stores ala NYC Fifth Avenue, and going to overpriced hotel type dining rooms, then Via Veneto is for you. It is quite a hike from the "historic center" and "quaintness" of the Pantheon.
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 01:42 PM

What is most important to you? The quality of the hotel room, the location of the hotel, etc.? I assume it is location from what you have said. The Via Veneto is somewhat removed from some of the major tourist sites but I disagree with Patrick's assessment that it is "quite a hike" depending on one's definition of what a "hike" comprises.

The Via Veneto area would be somewhat quieter than staying near the Pantheon and you are as likely to "rub elbows" with Italians as with anyone. And the street certainly doesn't claim an exclusive to high priced dining rooms or stores, either.

But, most importantly, if your first inclination was for the Del Senato I would definitely stick with that location. Once you've actually been to Rome the first time you can decide whether or not that was the "right" location as compared to others.

Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 02:19 PM

The Bernini Bristol isn't really on the Via Veneto; it's on the Piazza Barberini and there is a lot of car and bus traffic right in front of the hotel. The hotel itself is a rather sterile, business type hotel and while the rooms are comfortable, they lack charm. The Bernini Bristol is still within walking distance of the major sites and is right on top of the Metro line and as said before, many bus lines. The Del Senato is one of my favorite hotels in Rome and I wouldn't change a reservation there for anything.
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 04:29 PM

ok, now I'm worried. We have reservations at the Majestic on the Via Veneto. We chose it because it took the least number of Am Ex points to book. What will the best way for us to get to the important sites in Rome? We will be there in the middle of March so if the weather is bad will the metro be accessible or is a taxi the best option? What is walking distance from the hotel? From the map it looks like it is on the "southern" end of the Via Veneto, closer to the Trevi area (per the Venere.com map)
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 06:01 PM

damama, don't worry! Some of us love to stay in the Centro Storico in Rome. I am one of those folks, however, if I could stay at the Majestic for free, using points, I certainly would. The via Veneto is not a hellish place to be. Much of it is very nice, and the comparison to Fifth Avenue is a good one. To further that comparison, we always stay with my brother in the East Village in New York, but when I sometimes get to stay in a fancy midtown hotel, I still have a very good time.

The Metro at Barberini will be very convenient for you, and although taxis aren't the easiest things in Rome to find (one usually needs to locate a taxi stand; maybe we could get a thread of these going!) there will always be a taxi near your hotel. You can use the Metro for the Vatican Museums, for the Coloseum and Forum, and a few other places. Get a map and study the Metro connections.

Also, via Veneto isn't no man's land. You will be able to walk to many places you want to see: the Piazza di Spagna; the Trevi fountain; the shopping area around via Condotti, etc.

Just relax and enjoy your stay at what looks to be a very nice hotel. With the money you save, you can always ride taxis. Also, I forgot to mention that any restaurant will help you to get a taxi home in the evening if the walk is far.
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 06:19 PM

damama, unless walking is a problem for you walking to everything you want to see will not be a problem. I personally am one that prefers the area around Piazza Barberini, although I agree the Hotel Bernini Bristol is more of a business type hotel. But that is not your hotel, so no problem.

I wish I had enough points to get a free hotel room in that area. Oh sigh, LOL. You will have a beautiful time.
BTW, at the end of the ViaVeneto, where the subway entrance is, right at Pizza Barberini is a cafe with outside seating. A great place to have morning coffee etc. and watch the commuters on their way to work. Have fun!
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 06:34 PM

I recommend the Eden off Via Veneto , it has a great rooftop bar where the views of Rome can´t be beat. It´s also the only hotel I´ve stayed in Rome that has a nice gym. Also, the De La Ville Intercontinental in Via Sistina on top of Spanish steps has some very nice rooms. Some of them with balcony overlooking Rome.

Bob
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 05:58 AM
ira

Hi damama,

www.mappy.com allows you two enter two addresses in the same city and will give you the walking route if you click "pedestrian".
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 06:07 AM
amelia

Klapenta: We are in total agreement to stick with the Del Senato. I would go back to the Pantheon/Piazza Navona area in an instant (we stayed at the Santa Chiara).

However, that said...

Damama: Nothing is that much of a hike in Rome. Taxis are cheap (well, the Euro's a pain right now, but still...). If someone offered me the same deal, I'd jump. Enjoy your trip.

Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 07:43 AM

We have stayed at the Del Senato and we have also stayed in the Via Veneto area. We personally preferred the Del Senato for convenience AND for more interesting nightlife.

While there are many nice restaurants in the Via Veneto area, at night the streets seemed "dead" compared to the area around the Pantheon, Piazza Navona, Campo di Fiori, etc. We loved mingling with the crowds and people watching.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 08:45 AM

Thanks for the info on the Via Veneto. I love the comparison to NY. I don't mind taking the metro (I live in DC) and we can certainly spring for a taxi (if we can find one). I assume finding taxis in Rome is like finding one in Paris - at the hotels and restaurants, no problem. In addition, I don't mind walking - I do 2 miles a day on the treadmill so it shouldn't be a problem if the weather is good.
Thanks to all for your info.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 09:38 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Damama, getting a taxi to come to a hotel is actually easier in Rome than most places I have been. The hotel I stayed at had some kind of direct line to a nearby taxi stand. The guy at the front desk pushed a button and then would tell me the cab would be out front in three minutes, and so it was.

There are many busses that go past the Piazza Barberini. You are also near the Villa Borghese for a nice walk if the weather is good.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Everyone !
With your help we will stick to our original plan and stay at the Del Senato. It sounds like exactly what we are looking for.You are all so good to offer your opinions. Can't wait!
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 10:08 AM

Good decision! I have stayed at the Senato twice and very much enjoyed it. Th area around the Pantheon is my favorite in all of Rome. The Bristol is a more deluxe property but the Senato is a much better choice IME.