Reload this Page >

Traveling to France/passport number needed to make appointment

Old Nov 7th, 2015, 09:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

SO I am planing on traveling to France on December 20th! I have already gotten my ticket reservation. Pretty much all the documents needed expect for my travel document (passport), I am suppose to be receiving the passport by the end of November! So I am trying to make an appointment as early as possible that way as soon as i get it, I will go to my appointment directly. The problem is, when making an appointment I am required to enter my passport number which I don't have in hand yet, however I do have a passport that expired a month ago!

Can I use the old passport to make the appointment and then take the new one with me at the embassy when it's time to go there? Will there be a problem? I emailed the embassy 2 times but no replies!

I am afraid that if I wait until i get the passport to make the appointment, no dates will be available on December and I really need to be in Paris by the 20th. Please help!

Thank you
Old Nov 7th, 2015, 10:12 PM

Do you hold an American passport? American passport numbers change when they are renewed so the number you turn in now will be different from the number that have on the day of your appointment. But, I think, though I have no direct experience, that your situation is something that can be explained when you are at your appointment especially if you bring a copy of the old passport with you along with the new one when you go to the embassy. Are you applying for a long stay visa?
Old Nov 7th, 2015, 10:15 PM

You are making an appointment for what reason?
Old Nov 7th, 2015, 10:19 PM

Do they ask for your passport number, or some other form of identification, like a DIN?

As already noted, as long as you have your expired passport when you check in, there shouldn't be a problem. It can still be used as a legal form of identification, as long as you also have your new passport in hand.
Old Nov 7th, 2015, 10:38 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
The OP needs to ask the people s/he is making the appointment with (a consulate, an visa expediter, who ever it is). Only they will know what is OK and what isn't. No one on Fodors has any idea since we don't even know what nationality, what sort of visa, or anything else.
Old Nov 7th, 2015, 11:45 PM

Janis speaks the voice of reason.
Old Nov 8th, 2015, 03:19 AM

What are you making an appointment for? I've always renewed my passport by mail at the Post Office. You need to explain what this "appointment" is all about before anyone can answer logically. You haven't provided near enough information for anyone to answer. Call the consulate.
Old Nov 8th, 2015, 03:36 AM

Her appointment is not related to her passport application, but at the French embassy to apply for a visa. So she may not be a US citizen, but from a country which does not allow a 90 day stay without a visa; or she may be wanting a student, work or other long stay visa.
Old Nov 8th, 2015, 04:08 AM

Precisely - without knowing what this "appointment" is for how can anyone provide info?

It sounds like the OP is waiting for a US passport - and so then the appointment might be for a student visa (in which case the school should provide info) or a long-term visa (in which case the OP needs to check the official web site of France).

If the OP is not a US citizen - then we simply don't have info needed and there is no way we can advise.
Old Nov 8th, 2015, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies and sorry for the confusion!
1. I am not a U.S citizen therefore i do not hold a U.S passport! I hold a travel document provided by the U.S Citizenship and Immigration Services!It takes 3 months to renew the document.
2. The appointment I am making is based on a visa! An appointment I have to book on the French Embassy website (Chicago) in order to apply for a short stay visa.
3. I have called them numerous times, emailed them, but nothing which is why I posted this in here hoping that someone might know or might have been in the same situation as me.

Thanks!
Old Nov 8th, 2015, 07:30 AM

How long does it take to get the visa once you go to your appointment? Is that immediate or does that take time also?

You do not have a US passport. Is the passport you are waiting for (the one you were talking about in your first post) a passport from your country of citizenship?
Old Nov 8th, 2015, 07:50 AM

It sounds as if Josephine has refugee status, and the emergency travel document takes the place of a passport for travel purposes.

Josephine: your situation is an unusual one, so the chances are very much against anyone on this forum having personal experience. In your situation I would make the appointment now, and send a follow up when you have the new number. But that's not based on any actual experience with this system. Are there any refugee support fora around?

Good luck!
Old Nov 8th, 2015, 11:16 AM

I agree, contact the Embassy. Don't be so passive, don't just email, call them, also. Maybe that won't work either, but you need to at least try.
Old Nov 8th, 2015, 11:18 AM

And try social media, also, the US French Embassy has accounts on both Twitter and Facebook. Sometimes they don't read those much, it's just for PR "ads", but give it a try.