Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   How Would You Spend a Perfect Day in Florence? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/how-would-you-spend-a-perfect-day-in-florence-609677/)

Cato Apr 22nd, 2006 07:47 AM

How Would You Spend a Perfect Day in Florence?

Where would you eat, where would you people watch and wander off the beaten path?

Make it a long day in May - start early and finish late. Be romantic and save some time for wine, kissing and sunset views.

I know it is all subjective and based on your experience level, but thought it might be fun to see how some of you would do things.

Make it a long day in May - start early and finish late. Be romantic and save some time for wine, kissing and sunset views.

DejaVu Apr 22nd, 2006 07:57 AM

Tackling as many churches and museums as I could fit in, that's how. I never miss the Museo Archeologico, as an ardent devotee of ancient art. Santa Croce is always on the list. Uffizi if I've been organized enough to reserve in advance. I'd also check to see what exhibitions might be on; last trip (2004) I caught an amazing Botticelli exhibition in the Palazzo Strozzi (? I can't recall) and I'm so happy I made time for it.

I wish I could remember the names of the places I've eaten in Florence. I usually pick something that looked interesting during the course of the day's walking.

I absolutely absolutely would have a tiramisu gelato from the Festival del Gelato on the Via del Corso. Maybe two: one after lunch, and one after dinner. ;-)

Cato Apr 22nd, 2006 09:12 AM

Thanks DejaVu, I knew I could count on you for good advice!

SeaUrchin Apr 22nd, 2006 09:24 AM

I would do what I always do in Florence, but then I have already seen the Uffizi and the other galleries so I would most likely leave them out.

I would poke around the outdoor market and some of my favorite olde worlde-ish shops in the morning. Have lunch at my favorite restaurant in oltrarno (can't remember the name right now). Walk up the hillsides and sit and take in the views, maybe stop at Boboli Gardens for tea. Come back down and have dinner at Antinori, go to a church for an evening concert. Stop for cafe and gelato afterwards, stroll the streets late at night when they are mostly empty, go by the Strozzi palace and the Palazzo Ricordi to look at my favorite stones.
Go over to P. Vecchio and watch the moon on the river. Kiss if I am with someone kissable, then stroll back for more at the hotel. If I am not with someone kissable, look longingly at the moon shining on the river and plan to come back with a kissable person sometime soon.

Cato Apr 22nd, 2006 11:36 AM

SeaUrchin, thanks for the input. I will be with somebody special, who is very kissable.

SeaUrchin Apr 22nd, 2006 02:31 PM

Oh boy! good for you! ok, have you been to Florence before? I have been so many times I mostly stay outdoors now during the day, or go to some churches.

But do try and take some walks in the surrounding hills, it is lovely, and go to the church up on the hill for views too.

Cato Apr 23rd, 2006 02:54 PM

SeaUrchin, I went a long, long time ago, but it was a blur. We will also try to spend more time outside and take several long walks.