Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   how would you spend 8 nights in Italy? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/how-would-you-spend-8-nights-in-italy-727811/)

nycgirl1 Aug 10th, 2007 07:33 AM

how would you spend 8 nights in Italy?

We're scrapping the cruise for sure and are going to just explore Italy on our own! (I'm squealing on the inside about this. SO EXCITED!)

Details:
November - Thanksgiving week (Saturday - Sunday)
Fly into Venice, can easily change our departing flight to leave out of Rome if need be, but right now we're flying home out of Venice as well (booked airfare long ago with cruise in mind)

DH has been before but never south of Rome. I'm a bit nervous about the weather in northern Italy, but open to any suggestions.

Definitely plan to go back someday so I don't want a frantic, running around trip...plus I just did that in April when I went to Germany/Austria and was exhausted afterwards.

Must sees: Venice, Rome.

Train or car?

What would you do in that timeframe?

Thanks!!

Dayle Aug 10th, 2007 07:38 AM

Hi ncygirl,

OK - 8 days, 2 must sees = 3 days Venice + 5 days Rome. Save the rest for another, longer trip.

Buon viaggio!

Zerlina Aug 10th, 2007 07:41 AM

As Dayle says. Change your flight to fly out of Rome. And take the train: cheaper, easier.

nycgirl1 Aug 10th, 2007 07:41 AM

really?? 5 days in Rome isn't too much? DH thinks we'd be ok with 2 days there...no?

ira Aug 10th, 2007 07:41 AM

Hi Ny,

> can easily change our departing flight to leave out of Rome

If you are going to visit Venice and Rome, do so. It saves you a travel day.

With 8 nights, I would fly into Venice (3 nights), train to Florence (5 nights with daytrips to Siena, and either Orvieto or Bologna), fly home from Florence FLR or Pisa PSA.

If you prefer Venice and Rome, keep the nights the same and take a daytrip to Orvieto.

Enjoy your visit.

((I))

ira Aug 10th, 2007 07:43 AM

PS,

>5 days in Rome isn't too much? DH thinks we'd be ok with 2 days there...no?

NO, NO, NO.

Do you have 8 days or 8 nights?

bobludlow Aug 10th, 2007 08:02 AM

Rome was the biggest, richest, and most powerful city in the Western world for almost a millenia. And it has inspired our culture ever since. You need to give it more than two days. Trust us. Venice and Rome are enough. If you can't stand the crowds and noise you can always take a day trip to Ostia Antica or the Lazio hills.

nycgirl1 Aug 10th, 2007 08:12 AM

8 days and 8 nights. Arrive Saturday morning, depart the following Sunday afternoon (so I'm not counting that as a day)

sjj Aug 10th, 2007 08:13 AM

Believe me, five days in Rome is not too much. Here's what you get there: ancient Rome, great art, great city architecture, wonderful churches, and the center of the Catholic world. My wife and I have been there three times, the last time in May, and she's already talking about going back.

palatino82 Aug 10th, 2007 08:20 AM

Five days in Rome is fine. Take a one day trip to Orvieto - about 1 hr away on the train. A longer stay in Rome will give you options to see the catacombs and Ostia Antica if you want. You will appreciate a less frantic pace.

bobludlow Aug 10th, 2007 08:58 AM

I just re-read your post. Has your husband already been to Rome? If so, then you might want to skip it on this trip to keep him interested. If the winter weather troubles you why not spend some time further south? Would Sicily interest you? Or Naples/Pompeii/Sorrento?

nycgirl1 Aug 10th, 2007 09:12 AM

Yes, he's been before and he's fine with skipping it all together. I really hesitate to do that, which is why I was thinking 2 nights there would be perfect.

Sorrento was on my list as well, as was Positano. Hadn't thought of Pompeii - I should look into that.

nytraveler Aug 10th, 2007 10:02 AM

My first trip to Rome was 5 days (6 nights) and I've been back at least 6 times since - and still have a ton of stuff to see. Never mind taking some time to just relax. (I know that November sounds cold - but Rome can still be pleasant enough to sit outdoors during the day - to enjoy a historic district and people watching. (And to go to Italy without doing that - means you haven;t really seen Italy.)

Have a look at a guidebook for aach city - and perhaps you want one more day in Venice and one fewer in Rome - but 2 days in Rome is just silly - you'll see next to nothing.

SUMMAGOLD Aug 10th, 2007 10:10 AM

I would say 3 days is more than enough to hit the most obvious sites in Rome: the colosseum, the vatican, campo de fiori, piazza navona, trevi, etc.

Zerlina Aug 10th, 2007 11:35 AM

The end of November is not a great time for the Amalfi Coast; much of Positano will be closed.

nycgirl1 Aug 10th, 2007 02:12 PM

very good to know! Thank you! Just got a few guidebooks after work and am settling in to read with a glass of red wine. :)

bonlou30 Aug 13th, 2007 07:15 PM

We spent 8 days in Italy and loved it! We flew into Florence and were picked up by our guide who drove us to Sienna. We spent the day recovering from our flight and the evening at a wonderful restaurant. The next day he picked us up and we toured the hill towns of Tuscany and he took us back to our wonderful hotel Palazzo Ravizza for the evening. The next day we checked out and he picked us up for a second day of touring Tuscany and then we went with him to Florence where he dropped us at our hotel. We met up with friends for dinner, had the morning in Florence, and caught the afternoon train to Venice (left half our bags at our hotel- they were so accomodating). Arrived in Venice early October and it was very cold and damp. I was surprised but we just layered our clothes and eventually the next day the sun came out. Another day and a half in Venice and we were on our way back by train to Florence for another 2 days. Lots of sight-seeing, shopping, and, of course, incredible food! Enjoy your trip, we loved ours!

jabez Aug 14th, 2007 03:54 AM

Let me echo that Rome really needs more time.
Dayle gave the perfect 8 nights trip,IMHO.

gplusg Aug 14th, 2007 04:22 AM

5 days is not too much in Rome !!

You don't want just to "hit" sights.Spend some time to enjoy each one,and relax at a cafe watching the world go by.

tuscanlifeedit Aug 14th, 2007 01:15 PM

nycgirl1:

I am excited for you. You will have a great time. A lot of people are telling you to spend more time in Rome, BUT:

You've already said your husband isn't all that interested in going there at all. So since it is on your own "must do" list, but not his, how about 3 nights in Venice, 3 nights in Rome, and 2 nights in some other place?

I certainly would not suggest resort towns such as those on the Amalfi Coast, or even Sorrento at the end of November.

If it were me, I would pick someplace where there were a decent amount of indoor things to do if the weather wasn't good.

IMO, you don't have enough time to go to Venice, Rome and Sicily or really, any other destination in the far south. You said you didn't want to rush about and I don't blame you.

Is there some other place in Italy that your husband would like to see that isn't a summer resort town?

Milan?
Florence?
Perugia?
Siena?

I might even suggest dividing your time between Venice and Rome, but it doesn't seem that your husband is up for that. I think I would ask him to pick a city that intrigues him.

I would never trade extra nights in Venice or Rome for Sorrento. If the weather were great, and the season was right, maybe. But not at the end of November.