Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

how would you recommend getting from fussen to lucerne?

Old Feb 15th, 2006, 11:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my friends and i are flying into munich, staying for a few days then heading to fussen (any advice on the town itself and not castles would be appreciated. good eats, drinks?). i've found rail scheduales from 11 to 4 and a half hours to lucerne. being that our trip is in late sept we can't book a train for the desired 4 plus hour luzern trip (don't want a 10 hour trip) and don't want to drop a german rental off at the final destination of zurich. can anyone tell me if a 4-5 hour trip is normal for the season (will it go away due to tourism in the fall) or is their a better way (bus, fly, telepath). thanks
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 11:31 PM

Our last trip in this area we went by road all the way on the "Romantic Road" -- Wurzberg-Rotheberg to Fussen. Once in Fussen rent a car and go up hills in Austria and after about 15+ minutes drive you will have wonderful place to sit and have a gorgeous view. We went all the way from Fussen to Vienna, Austria and on the return leg we took the road trip from Fussen to in fact Lucerne for 7 days (passing through Lindau - Bregenz - Sankt Gallen - Zurich - Luzern).
We love driving in these areas, so we recommend that. On the lake Luzerne we had a nice & cheap hotel at Weggis. Purchased a 5-day Boat Rail pass and enjoyed trips to Mt. Riggi, Mt. Pilatus. Enjoy your trip. I will separately invite you to my photo albums of all these areas.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 12:46 AM

Getting from Fussen to that part of Switzerland by train is kind of a pain, there isn't really any direct route. But I don't understand most of your question. When I go on the rail.ch website, I get a result that the fastest trains take about 6.5 hours. I don't see any trains that take 4-5 hours, so I don't know quite what you mean.

If you will have a rental car in Germany but don't want to pay drop off charges, what you could do is drive down through Germany and then drop it on the German side of Lake Constance/Bodensee in the town of Konstanz or maybe Friedrichshafen and take a train from there. No drop off charges. From there, you can get to Lucerne in about 2.5 to 3 hours by train. I don't know what company you are renting from and whether they have offices in those places, it is a good bet you could drop it in Konstanz. If not, look at a map and find other big towns near the German border, they might work.

You can't fly into Lucerne as there is no airport near Fussen other than Munich and then you have to fly to Zurich or Basel which makes no sense as it won't save you any time, you may as well take the 10 hour train . . .

Old Feb 16th, 2006, 02:50 AM

Cicerone is correct. There are no rail services that take less than 6.5 hours from Fuessen to Luzern.

From what you have stated thus far, I am not sure I understand the need for a rental car. Admittedly, it would give you more flexibility if you were going to Fuessen to see some of the castles but IMO it is a liability in Munich.

Perhaps you could give us some further information.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

we don't plan on keeping the car while in munich. we were going to stay in munich for 3 days and on the last day pick up the car and on to salzburg. the reason we needed a little flexibility is because my friend and i are traveling with a husband and wife and we are staying in different towns near neuschwanstein. thanks for all your help though. i'll look into dropping the car off near the border. planning this is just a bit overwhelming. i appreciate all the insight.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

i just checked it out and friedrichshafen has a drop off and a 3.5 hour ride to luzern. thank you so much.