Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How would you allocate six nights from Milan to Dijon?

Old May 17th, 2007, 08:33 PM
rex
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Accompanying question to my train/plane question...

I think we will fly into Paris (best single connection to Europe for us), spend our time there, and then later, fly to Milan.

Dividing the trip up into a six night segment segment before returning, where would you go in Lombardy? - - assuming that we want to end up in Turin (catch the short, day-time train from Turin to Chambery for a car rental in France, for example).

The "in-France segment" is intended to be primarily focused on wine and food, though I think I will be interested in at least the better part of a day in Lyon (doesn't have to be an overnight there), and maybe Vezelay or one of the other major abbey sits in Burgundy.

Generally favor a driving/touring style of moving from point A to point B. This might mean as many as 4 or 5 different places to stay over this six nights (perhaps a splurge at the end in someplace in or near Dijon - - Chateau Gilly?)

Thanks in advance, for any input... and...

Best wishes,

Rex
Old May 18th, 2007, 07:08 AM
rex
Original Poster

topping...
Old May 18th, 2007, 03:27 PM
rex
Original Poster

No answers!? I'm surprised!
Old May 18th, 2007, 03:44 PM

Rex, I could give you some advice on what to see in Dijon and Burgundy, but I have never done this drive and so cannot give you an opinion on it. If you have questions about what I know, just ask.
Old May 18th, 2007, 03:46 PM

Gosh Rex, I thought that you had a firm handle on all this.

I would drive up through the Mont Blanc tunnel and mosey around Savoi and Burgundy. Take a swim in Lac Leman, at Geneva. Dine in auberges whenever you get hungry but follow French dining times, as you know. Turn in before 18h to get a place to sleep.

IMO, driving around eastern France is like being in Camelot.

Old May 18th, 2007, 03:55 PM
rex
Original Poster

Doesn't have to be solely about the route - - the "punctuation marks" (places to stay for one night or two) will define the skeleton of our itinerary, most likely.

Not looking for the (over-priced, in my opinion) city experience of Geneva (I assume that Lyon provides a substantially different "city experience", at least in Vieux Lyon)...

And in a separate posting, I have asked about the logistics of plane versus train to get from Italy to France. Not interested in an exorbitant "cross-country" drop charge on an Italian car, returned to France.

Any one have opinions on what to see/where to stay near/in Turin... or Chambery... assuming that we take the train from A to B?
Old May 18th, 2007, 03:58 PM
rex
Original Poster

Oh, and one more thought...

<< Gosh Rex, I thought that you had a firm handle on all this. >>

I believe unshakeably in the perishability of almost all travel info... so... the "novice" who was just "there" in the past year will often trump my "expertise" when it comes to some place I have not visited in a decade!