Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   How would you allocate six nights from Milan to Dijon? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/how-would-you-allocate-six-nights-from-milan-to-dijon-706030/)

rex May 17th, 2007 08:33 PM

How would you allocate six nights from Milan to Dijon?

Accompanying question to my train/plane question...

I think we will fly into Paris (best single connection to Europe for us), spend our time there, and then later, fly to Milan.

Dividing the trip up into a six night segment segment before returning, where would you go in Lombardy? - - assuming that we want to end up in Turin (catch the short, day-time train from Turin to Chambery for a car rental in France, for example).

The "in-France segment" is intended to be primarily focused on wine and food, though I think I will be interested in at least the better part of a day in Lyon (doesn't have to be an overnight there), and maybe Vezelay or one of the other major abbey sits in Burgundy.

Generally favor a driving/touring style of moving from point A to point B. This might mean as many as 4 or 5 different places to stay over this six nights (perhaps a splurge at the end in someplace in or near Dijon - - Chateau Gilly?)

Thanks in advance, for any input... and...

Best wishes,

Rex

rex May 18th, 2007 07:08 AM

topping...

rex May 18th, 2007 03:27 PM

No answers!? I'm surprised!

FauxSteMarie May 18th, 2007 03:44 PM

Rex, I could give you some advice on what to see in Dijon and Burgundy, but I have never done this drive and so cannot give you an opinion on it. If you have questions about what I know, just ask.

hopscotch May 18th, 2007 03:46 PM

Gosh Rex, I thought that you had a firm handle on all this.

I would drive up through the Mont Blanc tunnel and mosey around Savoi and Burgundy. Take a swim in Lac Leman, at Geneva. Dine in auberges whenever you get hungry but follow French dining times, as you know. Turn in before 18h to get a place to sleep.

IMO, driving around eastern France is like being in Camelot.

rex May 18th, 2007 03:55 PM

Doesn't have to be solely about the route - - the "punctuation marks" (places to stay for one night or two) will define the skeleton of our itinerary, most likely.

Not looking for the (over-priced, in my opinion) city experience of Geneva (I assume that Lyon provides a substantially different "city experience", at least in Vieux Lyon)...

And in a separate posting, I have asked about the logistics of plane versus train to get from Italy to France. Not interested in an exorbitant "cross-country" drop charge on an Italian car, returned to France.

Any one have opinions on what to see/where to stay near/in Turin... or Chambery... assuming that we take the train from A to B?

rex May 18th, 2007 03:58 PM

Oh, and one more thought...

<< Gosh Rex, I thought that you had a firm handle on all this. >>

I believe unshakeably in the <i>perishability</i> of almost all travel info... so... the &quot;novice&quot; who was just &quot;there&quot; in the past year will often trump my &quot;expertise&quot; when it comes to some place I have not visited in a decade!