My husband, my 18-month-old toddler, and I are headed to Greece in early September for one week with my mom and another week with just us and the baby. We'd like a relaxed itinerary that focuses on the culture and scenery. Some stop-worthy ancient sites and beaches would also be great. Museums aren't high on our priority list as we tend to get "museumed-out," but we'd check them out if there's a strong recommendation.
So for Part 1 (7 days w/Mom), I was thinking about doing a shorter version of Rick Steve's 14-day tour (http://tours.ricksteves.com/tours/greece-turkey/greece). Normally his suggestions are spot on for me, but the sightseeing priorities in this guide (Hydra, then Delphi, then Nafplio, then Olympia, then Kardamyli) are totally different from what sounds interesting to me. Am I missing something? Maybe my preferences have completely changed post-kid?
So here's what I've put together...any thoughts/advice on what I've kept/dropped from his itinerary?
-Athens: we land at 7:15pm and I'm thinking of renting a car and getting into Nafplio late instead of staying for just 1 night (would prefer to save Athens for the end of the trip to keep stress down before the flights on Day 8).
-Nafplio (3 days / 3 nights): Day 1 fortress hike or just hang out in old town. Day 2 & 3 Epidavros and/or Mycenae day trips, depending on how we're feeling.
-Kardamyli (3 days / 3 nights): The book puts this low on the sightseeing priority list, but after reading about how easy it is to slip into Greek country life here...it sounds like a better fit than Monemvasia (big rock), Olympia or Delphi (ruins), and Hydra (we'll get island time later). We'd hit the markets, cafes, parks...
-Athens (1 day / 1 night): explore, Mom flies home, we fly to Naxos/Santorini.
I look forward to hearing your opinions!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 PAYPAL 1:844:307:2790 Password Recovery CONTACT PAYPAL Tec*h 24/7
- 2 Best Greek Island
- 3 5 days in Andalusia
- 4 Highway Death Rates in Europe Now Fewer than in U.S...
- 5 Malaga Christmas lights
- 6 May Germany, Switzerland, and Iceland
- 7 Champs E.....no market ‘this year? How will it look?
- 8 crete or santorini in Oct.
- 9 Noxor Platinum Edition
- 10 Sifnos and...Paros? Last minute help
- 11 "chunnel" to change it's offical name.
- 12 Greek Islands, female solo traveller.
- 13 Driving
- 14 Need help with Mykonos vs. Naxos/Paros
- 15 Ferry vs. plane Athens to Santorini
- 16 Manchester Christmas Markets 2017
- 17 Change of resident
- 18 How best to see the Douro Valley?
- 19 Sixt Car Rental? Good/Bad? Any reviews/experiences?
- 20 The World's Greatest Churches
- 21 Italy with kids - off the beaten bath
- 22 Paris, Normandy & Amsterdam with College Graduate
- 23 Problem with Trip Advisor
- 24 Bilbao, Basque Country, declared Best European City 2018
- 25 London flat feedback wanted - yes, I'm going slightly crazy!
How would you adapt Rick Steves' Athens & the Heart of Greece tour?