Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How tp protect our wallets and pasports in Paris?

Jan 21st, 2000, 02:45 PM
Ino

Is it safe to leave them at our hotel room or should we carry them with us? What do you think about a safe in the hotel room? Are they available in every hotel? What do you do when visiting Paris? We are traveling in February and this is going to be our first trip to Paris.

Jan 21st, 2000, 02:59 PM
Al

Leave your passports and valuables in the hotel safe, sealed in an envelope. Do not carry such things on your person. Just carry "walking around" money, spread in several of your pockets (never in your hip pocket). By all means, take along a card available at the front desk which shows your hotel's name, address, and telephone number. Hand it to a taxi driver in case you need to return to the hotel and cannot recall these details and how the Metro works. Don't be paranoid about pickpockets -- just enjoy yourself. But you are NOT required to carry your passport. Any photo I.D. is sufficient, including your U.S. drivers' license. Room safes? No way. Use the hotel's main safe at the front desk. We have never had any problems following this procedure in umpteen trips abroad.

Jan 21st, 2000, 04:57 PM
howard

I disagree with the previous poster. I found the room safes to be most secure and used them throughout our recent trip to Italy! In Venice, I even changed rooms because the original room they gave us had a broken safe.

Jan 21st, 2000, 05:27 PM
Al

I made that statement because of two bad experiences we had in France and in Chile. In France, the key would not unlock the safe when it was time for us to leave. As a result, we almost missed our flight. In Chile, we found that someone had a duplicate key made, entered our room, and made off with some of our cash. Fortunately, our passports and tickets were in the hotel's central safe along with the bulk of our cash and travelers' checks. We learned later that the hotel's own staff were the culprits.

Jan 21st, 2000, 06:06 PM
howard

Al, like everything else in life, I guess, it depends on one's own experiences. I've heard horror stories about valuables disappearing from hotel safes (and like your experience, it was hotel employees).

Jan 21st, 2000, 08:04 PM
Bob Brown

I carried my most valuable papers, money, and cards in a neck pouch under my shirts.
It is good safety, but not very convenient. Getting to the thing is not all that easy, even for me the wearer.

As for pickpockets, I had a brush with one as I entered a Metro train. The would-be thief was pretending to read the subway route map posted over the entry way. As I boarded, he moved into me while looking up as if was reading the map. I was told later by a passenger who spoke excellent English that the fellow frisked my hip pocket but passed on it. As he frisked me, he also was headed out as the door closed behind him.

At any rate, some people say that the pickpocket risk is minimal, but in my case it was 100%. I never felt a thing, so if Mr. Picker had wanted my billfold, he would have taken it.

So, when you board a Metro train, make sure no one is reading the route map posted over the doorway.

Jan 21st, 2000, 08:57 PM
Kathy

I believe that hotels are responsible if it is in their safe, but not in the room safe. Therefore, I would always put important items in the hotel safe.

Jan 22nd, 2000, 08:47 AM
Ben Haines

Fodors

I'm seldom in Paris, but in the Balkans I ageee entirely with Al. I see bum bags, waist belts, neck pouches, and all that as both ungainly and also an invitation to a thief with a sharp knife, or to a gang with attitude.

Ben Haines, London

Jan 22nd, 2000, 09:01 AM
s.fowler

I agree with Mr. Haines here. In the Balkans or for that matter naywhere away from home I keep my passport, credit cards and most of my cash in a pouch - either a neck one which I sling over my shoulder to the side, or a one that hangs inside your clothes off a belt. I also put my driver's license in there as the result of a time-consuming replacement process when it was stolen in Budapest!

It's not being paranoid - it's just being smart