Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How to travel from Paris to Bayeux to London?

Old Jul 24th, 2004, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip in September. Spending 2 nights in Paris then on to Normandy (Bayeux) then to London via the Chunnel. First thought we'd rent a car when leaving Paris but are having second thoughts. Maybe train to Bayeux, rent a car for our stay there and then back to Paris via train then to London via Chunnel. Sounds tiring but because of obligations, etc. this is our only workable itinerary. I need suggestions on maybe a rail pass with car rental included, or maybe going by train to Bayeux then rent a car and drive to Calais then Chunnel to London. Need suggestions. Thanks.
Old Jul 24th, 2004, 04:32 PM
rex

You probably don't want/need any kind of rail pass.I would rent a car in Paris; explore Normandy to your heart's content, then return the car to Dinard and fly Ryanair to London (Stansted) at very low cost.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jul 24th, 2004, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Where is Dinard and where would I find ticket information about the flight you mentioned? Oh, I found it but the day we need to fly there is no flight --- if I'm reading it right. Also, is 1.99 Brit.Pound the same as 199? thanks.
Old Jul 24th, 2004, 05:30 PM
rex

No. 1.99 GBP is one-hundredth of 199 GBP.

Maybe you can re-arrange your travel plans to take advantage of such a bargain flight.

You can find Dinard on www.viamichelin.com or on www.mappy.com
Old Jul 24th, 2004, 07:29 PM
rex

In response to your e-mail to me (I always prefer to answer questions <i>here</i>, publicly) - - yes, the price really IS 1.99 - - i.e, one cent less than TWO.

The uninitiated may find it hard to believe that Ryanair has prices that low. Keep in mind that seats are limited at a promotional price like this, and that many people will pay some higher (&quot;regular&quot price. And believe it or not, the promotional prices have been lower than this - - including 0.01 or even FREE. Even this route does have some fares as low as 0.01 - - for example on Wednesdays in September, if you buy by July 26.

At 1.99 or 0.01 or at the &quot;regular&quot; price(s), the fares DO have taxes that can be as much as 20, 30 or 40 dollars extra. This route, for example, has taxes of 26.25 (euro) for Dinard to London. And there are the costs of getting from the airport to your ultimate destination IN London. Still, the fares are so attractive that it's amazing that anybody uses the trains for routes of greater than four hours.
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 04:44 AM
ira

Hi Ren,

Just in case you are still skeptical, yes, Ryanair does have promo fares as low as &quot;free&quot;.