Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How to transfer from the airport to Venice?

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 08:19 PM
aj

Is there a train to take from teh venice airport into town?
if so how much and how long is the ride?

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 08:25 PM
elvira

No train. Take a waterbus (cheap) or water taxi (expensive unless there are 5 or 6 of you). It is just so wonderful to arrive in this magical city by boat.

Depending upon where you're going, 30-60 minutes.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 08:56 PM
TheTraveler

Hi aj, My husband and I were in Venice a few years ago. We dropped our car at the airport and then needed transportation into the city. We took a bus from the airport to Piazza Roma. It was very inexpensive and easy to do. The buses are located out the main doors, and the airport is not huge. We asked at a desk inside, and they told us which bus to take. It was a short ride to Piazza Roma. There we took the vaporetto--also inexpensive--to our hotel. We had a short walk from the vaporetto stop to our hotel. This was not difficult to do. Ask your hotel which vaporetto to take and which stop to get off at. The Traveler

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 04:27 AM
aj

Helpful information! I did not know you coulc catch a waterboat from the airport into town.
Forgive my ignorance but is Piazza Roma the main area in Venice just outside of the train station that dumps you off in Venice? I figured there would be a local train to connect you with the main rail line leading right into town, guess you must take the bus.
Perhaps I will try the waterbus if it is not too expensive.

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 04:31 AM
Chris

Any form of transportation will be difficult with a lot of luggage. Pare it down and arrive into Venice on the vaporetto or water taxi. It is really great -- and the long ride really builds the anticipation.

The bus from the airport can be REALLY crowded, but it gets you there faster.
I had a wheeled carry-on and a smaller shoulder bag -- taking the bus from Venice to the airport I had to stand, with my luggage at my feet. The seats were all full, the aisle was packed too.