How to tie a scarf the French way?

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 10:35 AM
scarfnut

How to tie a scarf the French way?

Hello:
With this kind of weather in the east coast a scarf is a must and helps a lot to combat this winter chills. I always adore to see in the fashion magazine showing french models wearing wintercoats with scarf around their neck. How do you tie a scarf the way french people do? Is there some kind of illustration we can follow on the web? kindly help!!

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 10:53 AM
tigerlily

not sure if you're serious, but...
I don't know about heavy winter scarves but if you have a light-weight square, here is an easy, fashionable way to tie it:
Lay it flat. Take opposite corners (diagonal) and fold them in so that the two corners are touching in the center of the scarf. Looks a bit like a canoli
You should have two long smooth sides. One at a time, fold each of them inward. You should be folding repeatedly...sort of like you're fitting a letter into an envelope and you should be folding at the width you'd like the scarf to appear. Eventually, you'll reach the center. Fold the last pleat so that you have just one long tube of fabric. Then tie this around your neck and either leave the ends free or, make a single not and tuck the ends into the neck of the scarf. The knot actually looks quite decorative and more complex than it is.
That's the best I can do. Another option is go into a Banana Republic or J Crew and get one of the salesclerks to show you how it's done
best,
tg

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 11:15 AM
hervert

There is a video tape that my wife got a couple of years ago from AAA that gives hints on efficient packing (actually quite good) and the gal that does the tape has, at the end, a little section on scarf tying and she shows several neat ways to tie a scarf. You might check AAA and see if that tape is still around.

NYGirl

In the cold weather, you will be wearing a long scarf, wrap it around your neck twice and then tie it.
If your neck is not long enough, let the ends just hang.
Or take the scarf-fold it in half -put it around your neck, slip the end through the loop.

Nan

I tried it Tigerlily and it works!
I look so chic now, I decided to go out for lunch today.

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 11:17 AM
Sharon

On Capri, the fellow selling me a scarf did the fold in half and loop through, and I like it that way for thick and thin scarves.

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 11:27 AM
frenchie

wrap it around your neck several times, and then stick the end is the wheel spokes of a moving vespa. you'll look great and feel fabulous.

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 03:19 PM
Nan

The French way of scarfing worked, I got all kinds of approving glances with my new knot.

Old Dec 7th, 2002, 07:55 AM
Sarah Smith

Try the scarf-tying guide at:
www.tasaram.com/tying.html
The best one online that I have found...

Old Dec 7th, 2002, 08:41 AM
cd

Thanks for that web site Sarah!

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 03:00 AM
Christiana

Just made a Christmas purchase from the map scarves site that someone mentioned here and they have a rather cute tying guide www.mapscarves.com/tying-usd.html
Hope they add more soon.