Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   How to tell if the art found on the streets in Paris was painted by that artist? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/how-to-tell-if-the-art-found-on-the-streets-in-paris-was-painted-by-that-artist-660410/)

Photobear Nov 23rd, 2006 04:40 AM

How to tell if the art found on the streets in Paris was painted by that artist?

Sounds weird I know, but I want to make sure the art I buy on the street in Paris is real and not made in China or elsewhere.

I can't afford a gallery, so If I find a cute painting or water colour at a stall, how do you make sure it's the real thing?

ira Nov 23rd, 2006 04:53 AM

Hi PB,

Does it really matter if a pleasant picture was painted by an unknown French artist or an unknown Chinese artist?

((I))

packmule Nov 23rd, 2006 06:25 AM

Touché, Ira.

If I’m buying art from a gallery or Sotheby’s, yes, I would be concerned about provenance.

But if I’m buying a pretty picture from the streets , then no, I really don’t mind who painted it, as long as it brings me joy and makes me smile as I wash the dishes or dust the piano. It’s my “living-in-the-moment” that would matter to me, then.

and Photobear, I hope this can answer your question about how to make sure it’s the real thing. A long time ago, I bought a Delftware that I displayed so prominently in our dining room. My Chinese friends would tease me about it, saying that we’d just have to go to any fancy Chinese restaurant and we’d see the prototype (i.e., the real thing). But after I recounted the story of how my siblings and I, with my poor hapless mom, lugged this thing around Europe, the bowl ceased to be just a bowl. It has now become a repository of our memories and therefore, precious to us. -- And it’s definitely more REAL than any Ming vase.

nbodyhome Nov 23rd, 2006 06:39 AM

Sometimes you actually see someone actually painting - but if I like something, and it would be meaningful, I'd buy it (even if it came from elsewhere!)

111op Nov 23rd, 2006 06:41 AM

I still get a chuckle that some porcelain thing I got in Amsterdam turned out to be made in Vietnam.

In any case, I think that China was actually more advanced than Europe when it comes to be porcelain manufacturing centuries ago.

wombat7 Nov 23rd, 2006 07:11 AM

Reminds me of trip to Provence this year - bought some wonderful olive oil we tasted in a market in St Remy (product of Spain) and a very inexpensive attractive bowl (product of China. However, olive oil was wonderful, still enjoying the bowl

Dayle Nov 23rd, 2006 07:13 AM

Hi Photobear,

I actually bought a beautiful small watercolor from a Frenchman who was painting on one of the bridges in Paris. He had a couple scenes I really liked and the one I bought is hanging, framed nicely, on my bedroom wall right now.

Travelnut Nov 23rd, 2006 08:26 AM

One trick is to watch long enough to ensure the 'artist' isn't just brushing over an already completed 'painting'.

Photobear Nov 29th, 2006 09:11 AM

Thanks...

I will watch to see if the "artist" is really painting but I will get whatever catches my eye...Thanks all.

missypie Nov 29th, 2006 09:37 AM

I don't know how much time you'll have to wander around looking at paintings, but if you look enough, you'll notice that some of the artists in different locations are selling remarkably similar paintings....Did they all study with the same master and pick up his style, or were they all painted elsewhere? Hmmmm.

In Rome, our daughter was attracted to some dance-related art work that was unique and kind of pricey. The "artist" was right there. While we were "thinking about it" we saw more, identical "original" works, at another location. We didn't buy. Had they been inexpensive, it wouldn't have mattered, but they were priced like nice "originals".

SAnParis Nov 29th, 2006 09:40 AM

You can purchase some inexpensive, fine quality art in the Montmartre area (right on the square, stay out of the little shops). We've also had our daughters portrait done there for maybe 50euros. Many are working right there & you can typically tell if they are legit or not. Of course the guy that did the portait was from San Francisco...

tod Nov 29th, 2006 09:52 AM

Photobear - I personally think most of the artists that hang out in Pace du Tetre are promoting their own art.
Our most adored portrait of my son was readily sketched in black pencil as he stood patiently. My DH photgraphed every aspect of the drawing as it took shape.
Today this sketch has been magnified 10 times larger by our local architects office and cut into sections all individually mounted on an entire wall in the house. Absolutely fantastic!
Hope you find that 'special' art too.

LucieV Nov 29th, 2006 10:00 AM

I don't buy art off the street. In any city. There's so much good stuff sold from small, non-hyped galleries (e.g., near art schools), you don't need to spend a fortune.

OTOH, I'm also in agreement with those who tell you to <u>buy what you like</u>. &quot;Real&quot;, &quot;valuable&quot;, yadayadayada, 'tain't really the point, imo.