Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   How to take bus to Toledo, Salamanca and Segovia? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/how-to-take-bus-to-toledo-salamanca-and-segovia-465734/)

lindilindi Aug 9th, 2004 05:22 AM

How to take bus to Toledo, Salamanca and Segovia?

I'd like to take the bus from Madrid to Toledo, then Salamanca, Segovia and back to Madrid.

Most guidebooks only have info about bus travel FROM Madrid, but not from the other cities. Some even say that you have to go back to Madrid to get to your next destination. I don't believe that you can't take a bus from Toledo to Salamanca! Does anyone have experience with this?

I'll only have 4 days so I'm trying to save time and don't really want to go back to Madrid between each city.

Also, is it difficult to figure out the buses and where they start from? I heard there aren't really bus stations but they leave from hotels, markets etc.

Any help is appreciated.

Eloise Aug 9th, 2004 06:49 AM

It would not surprise me in the least if you had to go back to Madrid from Toledo to go to Salamanca or Segovia; it would be fully in keeping with the philosophy upon which Madrid was founded, i.e., to be the central point at the center of the country.

Besides, I can`t imagine many Spaniards who would want to go from Toledo to Salamanca; only tourists might want to do so. Toledo is a town almost exclusively given over to tourism; Salamanca is a university town.

And Segovia can be reached by commuter train.

I've only ever taken trains, although I understand that taking the bus is more convenient for Toledo.

The tourist information office in Madrid (there is one in the Plaza Mayor) will be able to advise you on buses.

Bedar Aug 9th, 2004 07:23 AM

I should think you would have to go back to Madrid. Yes, there are bus stations. Since you only have 4 days and are not familiar with the transportation system, why don't you sign up for a tour of these places ?

lindilindi Aug 9th, 2004 07:41 AM

Bedar:
Because I'll be finishing an 11-day bus tour in Madrid, and will be staying an extra 4 days. I'm young and adventurous and want to gain experience with the transportation system. I think you learn with experience. It shouln't be that hard. If it doesn't all go as planned, so be it, as long as I get to my plane on time!

kaudrey Aug 9th, 2004 08:58 AM

Hi lindi,

I don't know about the loop you want to do, but here are detials from Madrid.

Toledo: "Continental Galiano" bus from Estación del Sur bus station (metro: Méndez Alvaro, right underneath bus station, circurlar grey line #6), departs every 30 min. Details at www.continental-auto.es.

From Madrid to Segovia, "La Sepulvedana" bus from Paseo de la Florida #11, next to the Hotel Florida Norte (metro: Principe Pio, grey circular line #6) Express bus service (assigned seats-buy ticket before getting on) with departures almost every 30 min. during the week (a few departures have 3 intermediate stops). Trip takes 1 hr. 15 min.

Salamanca: "Auto Res" express bus (metro: Conde de Casal, grey circular line #6-Auto Res station is beyond the Hotel Claridge on Fernández Shaw ) 2 1/2 hrs.

Karen

lindilindi Aug 10th, 2004 05:09 AM

Thanks everyone!

Karen, thanks for the specific info its great!