How to Store Honey from Greece?

Jul 13th, 2002, 07:12 PM
Anon

How to Store Honey from Greece?

Hi. I just got a jar of honey as a souvenir from Greece. I generally buy generic honey from the supermarket and I leave it out with no problems. I was wondering if I can do the same in this case. I'd hate for it to spoil, or worse, to get sick.

Thanks.

Jul 13th, 2002, 07:18 PM
carol

Honey won't spoil. It may crystallize a little but that's OK. However, if there are nuts in it, as there are in many souvenir honey jars from Greece, maybe you should eat them first before they get rancid. Honey serves as a preservative, but nuts are nuts and I wouldn't leave them too long.

Jul 13th, 2002, 07:22 PM
Sue

I just make sure that I use honey from Greece, France, etc., more quickly than I might with a supermarket brand; don't know whether this is necesssary or not, but makes me feel more comfortable with it.

Maybe some of the foodies, nutritionists out there know if honey is ever associated with botulism? Just asking, not implicating!

Jul 13th, 2002, 07:53 PM
carol

I think there's a type of botulism in raw honey, but it doesn't make adults sick. However, because of this botulism, raw honey is very dangerous for young babies. (I don't understand WHY it is safe for adults, but apparently it is.)

I had a large jar of unusual honey from Greece for more than 15 years. I used it when it was very old and obviously lived to tell about it.

Jul 14th, 2002, 12:32 PM
jpm

I believe honey last forever. Several years ago I was with a group of college students cleaning out the basement of an inner city homeless shelter in Baltimore. I found a box of government honey that had crystalized - big 20 3 pound jars. The director of the center told me to throw them away. I stuck them in the back of the van and took them home. I used the honey for the next 15 years! All you have to do is put it in warm water and it will liquefy (sp???). Anyway, I read somewhere that honey is the only food that doesn't spoil.

Jul 14th, 2002, 04:36 PM
sue

Hi,

I always bring back a jar of honey when I go to Greece. I store it like any other honey I would buy here in the US. It is always fine.

Enjoy

Jul 14th, 2002, 07:13 PM
Alexia

My father is Greek and his hobby is beekeeping. Honey doesn't spoil and it should be stored in an airtight glass jar for the best taste.
Most of the store bought honey has added sugars and coloring but the natural stuff is the purest and best. It's great for upset stomachs, cuts and also a great facial mask. I like it best in my tea and yogurt.
Everyone's correct about what to do if it hardens and crystalizes. Just run hot water over the container or better yet let it sit in a sink full of warm water (closed lid of course). Enjoy!

Jul 14th, 2002, 07:27 PM
reader

I read once that honey was a symbolic gift for newlyweds because it never went bad.

Jul 15th, 2002, 02:58 AM
Suzy

The honey botulism link is NOT just in raw honey, it's in all honey. The processing doesn't kill the very sturdy botulism spores. The spores can't grow in the honey environment, though, the way it might in canned goods.

The reason botulism is a risk for infants and not for adults just has to do with the immaturity of the infants' digestive system.

Dietitians recommend that infants get no honey of any type, even though the risk is small.

Jul 15th, 2002, 06:46 AM
aj

Just saw a show on HGTV this weekend "Follow That Food". The topic was honey and they claimed that there was a sealed crock of honey found in an ancient tomb that was still good today! I don't think I would have wanted to be the first to taste test it though.