Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   How to stay healthy on airplane? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/how-to-stay-healthy-on-airplane-702546/)

giggles36kd May 4th, 2007 04:38 PM

How to stay healthy on airplane?

Just wondering if any of you seasoned travelers have tips on staying healthy on those long airplane rides?

Jolie May 4th, 2007 04:44 PM

Just the usual tips - walk and stretch as much as possible to avoid DVT; drink a lot of water to avoid dehydration and jet lag; I use alcohol wipes on my arm rest, tray, seat belt, and all the buttons; only bottled water and no ice in drinks; don't use the pillows and blankets. Take vitamin C or airborned or whatever else makes you happy. That's about all I can think of.

dperry May 4th, 2007 04:49 PM

I try to avoid eating the airplane food as well. On a trip to europe it's easy enough, but more challenging on an asian flight (my usual destination).
I never thought about avoiding the pillows and blankets, I assumed they were recovered (pillows) or washed (blankets).

Cimbrone May 4th, 2007 05:05 PM

Airborne really works for me. I used to always catch a cold when I flew. Not any more.

giggles36kd May 4th, 2007 05:10 PM

Great advice! Do you start taking the airborne before the actual flight-ie 48 hours in advance or the day of travel?

StCirq May 4th, 2007 05:27 PM

ZiCam.

amsdon May 4th, 2007 05:28 PM

Airborne is good. There are also similar vitamin drinks at Cosco. Airborne now makes gummy bear versions to have on hand while on the plane too.

But we can only do so much. Think of all the escaltor & people mover handrails, door knobs and faucets that you may have touched in the airport....might go crazy thinking about it. But I do understand it is good to take some precautions to prevent colds.

I start 3-4 days in advance with the Airborne.

RM67 May 4th, 2007 05:28 PM

I always ask for an aisle seat so I can have a wander round to fend off DVT on a long haul flight. As for dry skin, swollen feet, appetite, germs etc - I think a huge amount of unecessary fuss is made about the effects of flying. Unless you are flight crew or a very frequent business traveller you don't need special moisturisers, vitamins or any of that other guff. Sorry!

bettyk May 4th, 2007 07:02 PM

Since I came down with a very bad cold and sinusitis on my trip to Europe in 1999, I religiously do all the things that Jolie mentioned; ie, wiping down the armrests, tray, etc with alcohol wipes, avoiding the plane pillows and blankets and drinking plenty of water and/or orange juice in flight.

Once I'm on the ground, I continue to be vigilant about using Purell after traveling in the underground, using handrails, etc.

Since doing all of these things, I have not gotten sick on vacation. Maybe it's just coincidence...

hdm May 4th, 2007 07:06 PM

One of the nicest perks I ever got on a plane was an Evian water spray. Do you remember them? Do they still make them?

We were flying business class to Korea (it was a business trip for SO -- we'd never spend that kind of money on our own!) so we got lots of nice treats. Well, you know how dry it gets on a plane. Every hour or so I would just spray that fine mist on my face or my bare feet and it felt wonderful!

It's a good thing you asked this question. If I can find one, I'm going to take it on our flight to France. Or maybe it will be confiscated. Who knows? It's worth a try though.

mkdiebold May 4th, 2007 07:14 PM

I think it worthwhile to mention that the people we travel with (spouse, partner, friend,etc.) needs to participate in all of the preventative measures otherwise, they catch the cold and then give it to us through daily interaction.

My husband doesn't believe in taking Airborne, nor in using alcohol wipes, nor hand sanitizers. So....he caught a cold and gave it to me! I seccombed to his constant germs in spite of my great effort to avoid them.

LucieV May 4th, 2007 07:47 PM

Airborne.
Drink water.
No alcohol.
Drink water.
Get up every hour when you're awake, if possible.
Drink water.
Sleep as much as possible.
Drink water.
Wash hands as frequently as possible.
Drink water.

GSteed May 5th, 2007 12:59 AM

Ear problems? Take a nasal decongestant before take-off!

Carrybean May 5th, 2007 01:18 AM

I have a friend with COPD who frequently has to travel in winter & she swears by a saline nose spray.

I don't travel as much as in the past but I do take Airborne or Zicam.

nbujic May 5th, 2007 01:32 AM

'try to avoid eating the airplane food as well'
Same with us ( after a BAD food
poisoning on Air NZ). Have a meal before the flight, bring some munchies.

Cimbrone May 5th, 2007 03:29 AM

I do my airborne while I wait to board. But starting a few days in advance can't hurt.

dperry May 5th, 2007 03:56 AM

We've had some good suggestions here. I've gotten sick a time or two on a plane but I generally attribute it to running myself down physically before i leave for vacation (making sure everything is good at home, work, etc.)
I will try the airborne on my next trip, and bring my own shawl to use as a blanket. thanks.

sandi May 5th, 2007 04:41 AM

First thing, don't get on a plane if starting off unhealthy.

I've never been unhealthy on a plane, nor caught anything, once off! Then again, can't recall ever getting a cold.

But, I do drink water and walk about.

Too much Purell (or other antibodic creams, lotions, soap) can kill you, as you have no protection. You become a breeding ground for others germs.

Rastaguytoday May 5th, 2007 04:52 AM

hdm,

Yes, they still make the Evian spray for your face (helps fight facial dehydration), and they are < 3 oz.

You can pick them up at Sephora. My wife insists on taking one along, as well as being an Airborne fanatic.

girlonthego May 5th, 2007 04:59 AM

Normally, I will take a few extra vitamin c a couple of days before the trip.
I do bring hand sanitizer and use it before i eat and after the bathroom use. I eat very little of the airplane food. I try to drink a lot of water.
That is about it.