How To Stay Awake?

Old Sep 25th, 2003, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How To Stay Awake?

I leave from the Western US for Italy mid-Oct, stop overnight in NYC, and leave the next evening from JFK. I change planes in Paris and arrive in Florence at 9AM - but don't get picked up until the afternoon for a weeks stay in Tuscany. Any suggestions how to stay awake? I don't want a list of sights to see but rather my concern comes from having made the mistake of going to sleep upon arrival some years back and I never felt right the whole trip.
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 06:14 AM
Degas

A quick shower, some brisk walking, plenty of sunshine, coffee, and no heavy activities like museums, shows or movies. Keep moving and resist the urge for a heavy meal. I try to stay up until about 8pm local time.

Old Sep 25th, 2003, 06:21 AM

The previous suggestion is a good one, but I have found that what works best for me is to bank a little more sleep in the 2 or 3 nights preceding the transatlantic flight. Then you should also try to sleep during the flight as much as you can. Sleepiness can come from simply the fatigue of travel, but if you sleep during most of your travels you will probably be more likely to stay awake on arrival. Works for me, anyway. Good luck.
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 06:32 AM

Are you the type that doesn't like to sleep on the plane or maybe can't sleep? I like to try to get about 4 hours of sleep then I'm good till about 10p or 11pm local time. I took half of an Ambien which is a sleep aid and slept for about 4 hours. The good thing about ambien is that htere is no drugged, hangover feeling when you wake up. You feel alert and refreshed. Have fun!
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 06:39 AM

Hi, nnrobnz - banking sleep may not work out - you might not then be able to sleep on the flight, and that's the best thing to do. But I use something that I swear by - I'm always awake and ready to go when I land by drinking a fizzy packeted drink called Emer'gen-C. You can find it at health food and drugstores. I have it during the flight, in the am before landing and drink it several times during the first day. It's vitamin C and other minerals, electrolyte balanced. I don't know why it works (it says "healthful activator of your metabolic functions&quot, except that when my traveling companions have finally taken my advice and had some, they too wake up. Have protein at lunch - not carbs. You're right about dozing off during that first day; you never get on schedule. Will your ride to Tuscany pick you up at the airport or in town? If it's the airport, that will present problems because it's so boring; maybe a fast-paced book, but moving around is important to keep those oxygen levels up. If it's in town, then find someplace to stash the luggage and walk. Of course you can walk the airport; not been to Florence so don't know how great the airport is for browsing. Good luck and have a fun trip.
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the many good suggestions.
To Degas, I won't have a hotel so won't be able to take a shower, but brisk walking & sunshine sounds good. And the only time I took something - Melatonin - it didn't work so I am hesitant to take anything, HOWEVER, thanks (Shanna) for the suggestion re Emer'Gen-C/this sounds like a really good idea and I have taken it before. I sleep on any mode of motion! What I've noticed is the difference in traveling to Europe from the Eastern US vs the West....just a few extra hrs. (and, of course a few extra years!) Thanks again. Anymore?
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 07:06 AM
Degas

Speaking of longing for a hot shower upon arrival - I flew from Oman to Paris on an overnight flight, got to the hotel and of course the room was not ready. Left my bags and started exploring without getting back to the hotel until after dinner. My clothes and I were a bit ripe to say the least. Boy, did that shower feel super great!

Old Sep 25th, 2003, 08:32 AM
jay

what ever you do do not nap or sleep when you arrive. once you go to sleep that evening you will be fine.
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 08:40 AM

You may be tempted to tank up on espressos, but be careful. The last thing you want is to finally fall into bed the night of your arrival and not be able to sleep because your system is loaded with caffeine.

Melatonin didn't work for me the first time either, but I found that I needed to take more of it. I'm a big fan of Ambien also. Getting some sleep on the plane is really the best idea, so you can make it through the day in Florence without too much discomfort.