Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   How to split my time between places in Italy and Croatia and where to stay (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/how-to-split-my-time-between-places-in-italy-and-croatia-and-where-to-stay-824864/)

helen63 Feb 3rd, 2010 02:53 PM

How to split my time between places in Italy and Croatia and where to stay

I would like to start early booking for my September trip, because normally budget accommodations get booked fast. I posted before about this trip. We will be flying to Naples on September 3, and coming back from Zagreb, on September 19.
So we have 14 full days.
I am looking for your suggestions on how to split these days.
I am thinking 6 days for Amalfi 6 coast (Pompeii, Positano, Capri, Ravello, Amalfi), 1 day – driving/overnight in Matera, 3 days - Puglia, 4 – Days Croatia (Dubrovnik, Split, Trogir, Plitvice).
Should I remove one day from Amalfi or Puglia to add to Croatia?
Should I split my stays on Amalfi coast? I think we will go to Sorrento right from the airport for several nights. Should we move somewhere else for the remaining few nights?
I know we need a car to drive to Matera and Puglia. Do you suggest rent a car for Amalfi too?
Also, I would really appreciate any advice on somewhat budget accommodations.
As always, thank you in advance for your help!

Luhimari Feb 3rd, 2010 03:11 PM

How are you planning in getting from Puglia to Croatia?

anniemackie Feb 3rd, 2010 04:14 PM

You might consider cutting back on Italy and splitting your time more evenly between Amalfi and Croatia, especially if you are trying to watch your budget. With your current plan, you will not have any time to see Zagreb, and will spend more time travelling between the sights rather than actually seeing them in Croatia.

Last year we spent several weeks in Croatia in various budget accommodations, but that was during the off-season. I've finished the Croatia portion of my trip report if you are interested.

--Annie

helen63 Feb 3rd, 2010 04:53 PM

Luhimary, we will take an overnight ferry from Barry (I think) to Dubrovnik.

Annie, I realize I have a very limited time. And within this limited time, I planned to skip Zagreb. I thought we would just drive directly to Zagreb airport on the last day (day 15). I thought about 2 days in Dubrovnik, 1 day - Split (and maybe Trogir overnight, not sure), and then Plitvice. I will most definitely read your report. Seems like I need at least another day here. But where to cut from? From Amalfi or Puglia?

anniemackie Feb 3rd, 2010 06:45 PM

Helen, I haven't been to Puglia, however, I would be inclined to reduce a day each from Amalfi, and Puglia, and then add them to Croatia. You could add one day to Split/Trogir so that you aren't so rushed to see everything before leaving for Plitvice the next morning. This will give you at least a full day for that area. And then add your other day to either Dubrovnik or Plitvice, depending on whether you want to do some hiking in Plitvice.

I would also spend all five days in one place on the Amalfi coast, especially since you will be doing a bit of moving around at the end of your trip. Despite all the horror stories, my DH loved driving there, and it was great to have the freedom of stopping wherever and whenever. But for the places you've listed, a car certainly isn't necessary, especially from Sorrento

--Annie

RayKrebs Feb 4th, 2010 01:05 AM

4 days is not much time for Croatia. Keep in mind that to get from Bari to Dubrovnik, you will have to take an overnight ferry. Then, the trip from Dubrovnik to Split takes about 5 hours by bus or 8.5 hours by ferry. So, it sounds like you'll be spending about as much time traveling as you will have for each place. I would try to add in another day or 2 to Croatia and maybe skip Pula on this trip.

helen63 Feb 4th, 2010 07:01 AM

Thank you for your responses so far!

It looks like I need to reduce my Amalfi stay by 1 day.
So, I will have 5 days - Amalfi, 1 day - Matera, 3 days – Puglia, 5 days Croatia. This time includes driving. I have a hard time reducing Italy time even more.
I am planning to rent a car in Croatia, so we are a little more flexible. I did not plan on visiting Pula. I know I don’t have time on this trip.

What is the best place to stay for 5 days in Amalfi, so I can day trip to Capri, Pompeii, Positano, Amalfi, Ravello? Sorrento? Is there a more convenient (or budget) base for my stay?
It seems like everything is close, but I know those winding roads take a lot of time, so I am not sure if this would be good to drive(or ride) from Sorrento to Amalfi, Ravello and then back.

kja Feb 4th, 2010 10:42 AM

I agree with the other posters that adding a bit more time to Croatia makes sense; otherwise, almost all of your time there will be spent in transit.

> I know we need a car to drive to Matera and Puglia.

Depends on what you want to see in Puglia! There is - or at least was - a bus from Salerno to Matera, from which there is a train to Bari, from which you can take trains or buses to other places in Puglia (e.g., Trani, Lecce, Alberobello).

helen63 Feb 4th, 2010 12:02 PM

Kja, thanks for this tip! I will take a look, because car is expensive in Italy even for a few days (unfortunately, we do not drive a stick shift).
Now, I have 5 days for Croatia – 2 Days Dubrovnik (this includes the day we will arrive by ferry), 2 days around Split/Trogir area, 1 day to drive and spend time in Plitvice, and then on last day we have a few hours to drive to Zagreb airport. Is this good or still too rushed?

kja Feb 4th, 2010 02:07 PM

My information about getting from Salerno to Matera is a few years old now, so do try to confirm it before counting on it. When I there in May 2007, there was a Trenitalia bus that left from in front of Salerno's train station at 11:25 a.m. and arrived in Ferrandina at 2:09. From there, there was a Sita/Grassani/Liscio bus every day but Sunday at 2:25, arriving in Matera at 2:55 (this bus originated in Potenza). The bus "station" in Ferrandina (the same one for both buses) appeared desserted - I remember a few moments of worry as I wondered whether there really would be a bus to take me onward, particularly because the bus from Salerno had been a bit late. But the bus to Matera did, indeed, arrive shortly after it's scheduled time.

> Is this good or still too rushed?

In my opinion, your time in Croatia is still rushed, but not as badly as it would have been without the extra day. Your new plan should at least give you time to appreciate the highlights of your chosen destinations.

helen63 Feb 4th, 2010 05:02 PM

Thank you, Kja!

helen63 Feb 7th, 2010 04:37 PM

I am back with my question. Unfortunately, my plan Amalfi (5 days), Matera (1), Pugila (3), Croatia (5) - does not work, because with this plan I need to take ferry from Bari to Dubrovnik on Monday. And there is no ferry service on Monday. So, I need to go on Sunday or Tuesday. This means I will have either 4 days in Croatia or 6 days in Croatia. Based on your suggestions, I think I would rather have 6 days in Croatia.

So, should I reduce Amalfi by 1 day (from 5 to 4) or Puglia (from 3 to 2)?

Also, do you have any suggestions where to stay in Pgulia (not too expensive)? I am thinking Ostuni Palace in Ostuni.

Thank you!