Reload this Page >

How to spend my 16 nights in Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8th, 2001, 08:09 AM
Dawn

I am going as a solo traveler to Italy for the first time next May. I will be flying into Milan and flying out of Naples. I have a total of 16 nights. I would like to see the best that Italy has to offer and I would also like to spend some time in the South at the beach. The only area that I know that I am omitting is Venice (I would prefer to go there with a lover than alone on a first visit). Please give me advise on where I should spend my time. Any specific advise on hotels (about $100 per night for a single) would also be appreciated.

Old Nov 8th, 2001, 08:46 AM
cindy

Dawn, I advise you to read the many, many postings on this board under Italy, pick up a good travel book or two, and take your time learning about all there is to see in Italy. Then decide what appeals to you.. Do some research! The planning is half the fun!

Old Nov 8th, 2001, 08:57 AM
Nancy F

Dear Dawn,<BR>we just returned from Italy. First, a word of caution-we didn't fly into Naples but friends did - and on the bus from the airport, some "friendly" people helped them get settled - and took their wallets. Have heard that about Naples -be careful. <BR>In Rome,we stayed at the Hotel Canada - it was 290,000 lira(take off the last three digits and cut the remaining number in half for a good approximate in USD - under $150) for a double which was like a suite - sitting area - and included breakfast. We stayed near the train station, got an all day metro pass (6,000 lira)and just went all over the city. Although we were warned about gypsies, we saw none and never had a worry even though we stayed on metro til it closed. Found an excellent restaurant, its about 4-5 blocks from Coloseum, on a back street called Via Trachetto - Trattoria Trachetto is its name and had dinner with wine and dessert for about $25. Delicious! We wanted to eat the veal, but the pasta course filled us up so much we couldn't do more.To fully use the metro, it is best to stay near a Metro stop.<BR>The restaurants near the tourist attractions all seemed to charge more so look into the back streets!<BR>The Amalfi Coast was beautiful, went from there to see Pompeii - please go there, it is amazing. Thanks to all the Fodorites who gave me excellent tips - you are the greatest!<BR>Also, we felt very safe in Europe, everyone very nice to two Americans after the WTC tragedy. Ciao!

Old Nov 8th, 2001, 09:05 AM
Vita

Dawn, I agree with Cindy about the planning being half the fun. Italy has so much to offer, it really depends on the kind of things you like to do. I can tell you that I loved Rome and Florence, but not everyone does.

Old Nov 8th, 2001, 09:15 AM
Dawn

Cindy and Vita - <BR><BR>I have a book and I do plan to buy another. I am planning on doing research and then making plans,etc. but I consider asking questions on this board part of my research. While we all of us have different interests, I thought it would be nice to hear a little advice on what areas people thought were the most pleasant parts of the country.<BR><BR>

Old Nov 8th, 2001, 09:20 AM
Vita

One more thing, Dawn. It should be very easy to get a single room for under $100. I stayed at Pension Panda (www.hotelpandaparadise.com) in Rome, for L80.000 (about $40). It didn't have a bath, but they are available for maybe $10-15 more. During my planning, I found a lot of rooms for $40 to $80.

Old Nov 8th, 2001, 09:56 AM
Vita

Dawn, I just read your post. If it helps, I have a trip report titled, 'Just Returned from Rome, Siena, and Florence' that goes a little more into my likes and dislikes.

Old Nov 8th, 2001, 10:08 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Hello Dawn, That sounds great---May for 16 days will be wonderful.<BR>Here is a rough outline of how I would spend that time. Assume 3 nites at each destination except for Rome:<BR>Lake Como<BR>Ligurian coast[perhaps Santa Margherita]<BR>Florence/ Siena<BR>Rome<BR>Sorrento/Capri---depart Naples<BR>That is a doable train itinerary with no more than 3 hours between stops. Bring your camera and an open mind.

Old Nov 8th, 2001, 04:45 PM
deb

16 days - I kept thinking while we were there, "What I would give for an extra day or two or three or ..."<BR><BR>My advice - Stay at least three days, as Bob mentions, in each location. If there is a lot to see in surrounding areas stay an extra day. There's nothing like getting to "know" an area and then packing up and moving to a new location which we did very often during our 13 nights 7 hotels later (really liked each hotel & area that we visited). We tried to see as much as we possibly could and did, but would like to explore more, and felt that staying longer in each location would do allow us to do that. Although staying longer in each location would mean having to spend longer on vacation (I could, but husband's schedule didn't allow) oh well.<BR><BR>DFW 11/8/01

Old Nov 8th, 2001, 05:02 PM
qiu

My favourite places in Italy by preference:<BR>1) Venice<BR>2) Cinque Terre incl Portofino and Santa Magharita<BR>3) Capri and the Amalfi Coast<BR>4) Assisi<BR>5) Florence and Tuscany<BR>6) Italian Lakes<BR>7) Rome and Pompeii

Old Nov 8th, 2001, 05:47 PM
Betsy

Hi Dawn!<BR>I really agree with Bob's post, though I would probably stay I Cinque Terre on the Ligurgian coast.I have traveled Italy solo and really liked Verenna on Lake Como as a first stop. A very quiet, beautiful place to ease into a trip, and get over jet lag. Varenna is ferry boat close to bigger Bellagio. As a solo traveler I found Varenna and easier place to meet and talk with others, it just feels cozier. Also, I wouldn't miss Siena!

Old Nov 9th, 2001, 05:22 AM
dan woodlief

I have only been to Italy once Dawn, but my own experiences say that Bob and Deb made good points about spending at least three days/nights at each place. The first day, you learn the layout, how to get around, and see some of the top flight sights. The second day, you can delve at a more relaxed pace. The third day, you can figure on trying to see what you haven't yet made it to (maybe take a daytrip), do a little shopping perhaps, and prepare for the next stop. However, Rome really deserves at least four days.