Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How to spend 8 hours in Barajas airport MADRID?

Old Mar 10th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Due to some changes in the itinerary we (group of 4) will be spending 8 hours at the Barajas Airport in Madrid on a Wednesday. What can we possibly do in 8 hours? Is there’s a place that we can rest for a while, like a lounge or something like that? Or a confortable area in the airport? I guess we will have to pay but that’s OK if we can get some rest after a 10 hour flight and another 3 hour flight to come! We will be visiting Madrid at the end of our trip so is not that we want to venture to the city unless we have no other thing to do at the airport.

¡Any suggestion on how to spend 8 hours in this airport will be truly appreciated!
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 10:45 AM
yk

Which airline(s) are you flyiing? You can start by looking to see if those airlines operate a lounge at Barajas, or if their partner airlines do. Then you can check to see if that particular airline lounge offers a pass for non-members or not.

If you're feeling adventurous, with the 4 of you, it's probably worthwhile to share a taxi into town and walk around/stretch your legs, grab a meal, then taxi back to the airport. But this is only feasible if you don't have much luggage with you.
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 11:17 AM

The airport website will list restaurants and such, but no amount of anything could make me stay 8 hrs in an airport. Check out this thread from last year, when I breezed into the city on a layover.
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...or-2-hours.cfm
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 11:21 AM

The Madrid subway is fabulous. Check and see how long it would take and if you could leave your luggage somewhere. Maybe even go just a few stops and at least get a meal and walk around a bit.
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

I'll be traveling with Iberia and fortunately with no bags. Thanks for your responses!
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 05:09 PM

As for inside the airport, I'm not sure. BUT... if you do want to venture outside into the city...

The metro stop for the airport is inside the airport itself...very easy to get to! take that into the center of madrid. Here is a link to a picture of the metro map:
http://subway.umka.org/maps/madrid.gif
You will be on line 8 (up at the top right). I would suggest a quick trip to Retiro or the center... Sol or Gran Via metro stop. From Sol it's a quick walk to Plaza Mayor. There are tons of restaurants and bars over there to grab some food if you want. As yk suggested, you can also take a cab in, but I will warn you, it is not cheap from the airport and back! Let me know if you want more suggestions or directions!
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 05:16 PM

I would still go to the city. Grab a cab..go to ,lets say ,Plaza Mayor and get some air...
cannot imagine sitting at the airport for 8 hours
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 01:24 AM

You could take a local bus (M-101?) or Taxi to the Plaza in Barajas Pueblo. We usually call relatives and meet with them at Toribio's Churreria there on the Plaza. I think they are the best Churros you will find in the Madrid area and the Chocolate is so rich, you can 'stand up' a spoon in the cup.

We have also gone to 9AM Mass at the Church there when we arrived on a Sunday.

When you get back to the airport, the only comfortable seats you'll find will be in the Departures area (i.e., at the Gates, after you have cleared Security & Passport Control).
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

We ended up in a nearby hotel (the High Tech) and it was great, we were able to rest peacefully for several hours before our next flight towards Venice