Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How to see the Eiffel Tower? On our own or with a tour?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2012, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We want to see the Eiffel Tower when we visit Paris in May, but it sound like getting to the top involves long waits. Can someone explain how it works? Is there an elevator, does it go to the top or just part way? I have a vague recollection from my younger days of a long spiral, semi-open staircase. i believe we are too old for that now. Do we need to go with a group tour? Can anyone recommend the best way to enjoy this Paris icon?
We'll only be there for 3 days, any other suggestions for making the most of our time would be appreciated.
Old Feb 6th, 2012, 12:18 PM

Do on your own, cheaper and you are in control.

You can buy tickets ahead of time on internet.

http://www.eiffel-tower.com/preparin...r-tickets.html

I advise going early to avoid lines/buses, or early evening. Even though you have ticket, still need to line up to go up.

I would also approach tower from Right Bank. metro to torcadero, walk between Palais Chaillot buildings and you will get prime view, Then cross bridge over to tower.
Old Feb 6th, 2012, 12:20 PM

An after dark Seine cruise is also nice, it will take you to tower and back. See it twinkling.

A good one is Vedettes du Pont Neuf, located western tip of Ile de la Cite. You can also buy discount tickets online.

Pont d'Alma also has boats, but they are bigger.
Old Feb 6th, 2012, 12:23 PM

With so little time, a tour can be good or bad. Some coach tours leave mid morning, so by the time you finish, can be mid afternoon.

Good thing is...you will have seen (not visited) the biggies. then you can go back and visit certain areas on foot.

But with such a short time...
Old Feb 6th, 2012, 01:17 PM

Going up in the Eiffel Tower is not difficult. The lines move smoothly. However, allow plenty of time to get DOWN, especially from the 3rd level. The lines to the down elevator were very chaotic both times we were there.

On our first trip, we enjoyed the Hop-On, Hop-Off bus tour because it gave us a good overview of the city. The cruise on the Seine was nice and we would have liked to have done this in the dark; however, there were long daylight hours, so we just did this in the middle of the day. Perhaps not the best use of our time, but it was very relaxing and pleasant.
Old Feb 6th, 2012, 01:29 PM

I'm not aware of any tours up the eiffel tower, especially any that would exempt you from the lines. Get there early in the a.m. - say 30-45 minutes before it opens to ensure you won't have to wait much longer than that. Otherwise, buy the ticket online and it will schedule a time to go up for you. There are "shortcuts" in the line for people with reserved tickets. There are two elevators. Once takes you to level one and two, and a second takes you from two to three. There are stairs all the way up. Forget that idea if you're over 35.
Old Feb 6th, 2012, 01:43 PM

There are coach tours that include going up the Eiffel Tower, some include a meal at the Eiffel tower. But...$$$.
Old Feb 6th, 2012, 02:13 PM

Re above <i>"There are stairs all the way up."</i>
I believe the stairs only go up to Level 2.
The only way to get to the very top is via elevator.
Old Feb 6th, 2012, 02:18 PM

I'm not sure what anyone could get out of a tour of the Tour Eiffel except for the information on its origins, which can be read on the second floor in the tiny museum space there, or in any guidebook.

Just go early or buy reserved tickets online before you leave.
Old Feb 6th, 2012, 02:21 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I've only been up once - 15 or so years since my first visit to Paris - and it was well worth it.

one lovely way to get a view is to wander along the side of the seine at night - we discovered by accident on our last trip that if you walk along the right bank from Notre dame towards the tower you get a lovely view of it all lit up. in winter this seems to last until about 10pm, when the lights are suddenly turned off.

Beautiful and free.
Old Feb 6th, 2012, 02:44 PM

When my husband and I went a few years ago, I only went up to the 2nd level, but my huband wanted to go to the 3rd, which was an extra fee. The plan was he'd go up further then join me on the 2nd. Seemed like I waited forever for him to join me and was getting a bit peeved, because it was kind of cold and windy. When he did finally join me, he explained that the wait for the elevator each way took a long time. The view from the 2nd level is fabulous. If you're in a time crunch, I would avoid going to the very top -- it's the exact same view, just takes longer and costs a bit more.
Old Feb 6th, 2012, 05:03 PM

The tower has acquired such symbolism that visitors may forget its original fame was as a feat of engineering. For the era, the elevators were a marvel. Consider: The bottom legs of the tower are curved, so the enginners had to figure out how the passengers could be conveyed up those curves. The Wikipedia entry on the Eiffel Tower is dauntingly long but I hope this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eiffel_...nger_elevators will transport you to the section on the elevators. Probably more information there than the casual visitor wants, but at least you can browse and work up an appetite for your visit.
Old Feb 7th, 2012, 03:38 AM

In fact there are other interesting things to see and do with a tour!

Have you ever been down in the control bunker beneath the Champ de Mars? Have you ever been down beneath the north leg underground and seen the hydraulics, gears and pulleys that still run the elevator on that leg? Or how about the technical level that's underneath the 1st level and gives you an interesting view below. Or how about the fact the tour ends on the second level and you skip the lines to go up. That was worth it alone!

By all means take the behind the scenes tour... it is worth it and was only 20 euros IIRC. It ends on level 2 but you can elect to go higher if you wish.

Groups are limited to 20 and you must reserve in advance. Half our group was French and the rest assorted Canadians, British and Americans. Kids enjoyed it too.

http://www.eiffel-tower.com/visit-wi...ert-guide.html
Old Feb 7th, 2012, 05:09 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
We've gone up day & night. We liked night better, the views were gorgeous, and the lines were short.

We also prefer the night Seine cruise. Here's the website and discount Michael mentioned above.

http://www.vedettesdupontneuf.com/
Old Feb 7th, 2012, 06:17 AM

ParisAmsterdam, thanks for that great link.
Old Feb 7th, 2012, 07:23 AM

You're welcome... the link isn't really intuitive from the main site... a couple of odd things about the tour...

- You can't book with an online form... you need to fax, email or
give your credit card over the phone once you establish your date with them.

- The site doesn't specify but tours used to be Wednesdays and Saturdays. They recommend a 1 month advance notice... I booked only 4 days ahead successfully in 2009.
Old Feb 7th, 2012, 07:42 AM

A bit of trivia- It's almost unbelievable, however with a project as large as the Eiffel Tower, not a single life was lost in its' construction. That is fantastic, especially when you think of the 360 lives that were lost in building the Washington Bridge betweee NY and NJ.
Old Feb 7th, 2012, 08:07 AM

There does seem to be a way to book there on line, via the Cultival link. Seems you need to open an accunt, but it has English version.

http://www.cultival.fr/en/visites/le...la-tour-eiffel

If you need place to eat, hae a look at this, or at least the pictures

www.chezfrancis-restaurant.com
Old Feb 7th, 2012, 10:19 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Michel - lovely pics, but you might want to check your spelling!!!
Old Feb 7th, 2012, 10:34 AM

Bet he's using an iPad or "smart phone". Those mini keyboards are a b*#€h!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -