how to see pope in august

Old Jul 14th, 2006, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how to see pope in august

So I am going on my once in a lifetime trip to rome in august (i know, it's hot) and the #1 thing/person I want to see is the pope. Every day I visit the vatican web site to see his schedule for august but nothing posted yet. I'm praying he is in Rome and not away!

If it so happens, do you know how I can get to his summer home at Castel Gondolfo? Do I need to buy tickets or just go and leave first thing in the morning?

Or if he happens to be in Rome, I will not be there for the Wednesday audience, is there any other way I can see him (maybe on a Sunday?)

Thank you so much!!!!!!
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 12:55 PM

santasusanna.org is the website for the "American Church in ROme". You can email them from that website, and ask about your specific date to see if the Pope will be in Rome. He is usually at his summer residence from late July through August according to my last inquiry. Perhaps they can also advise you on a route to Castel Gondolfo? He does give a Sunday blessing there in the summer.
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 01:00 PM

We were in Rome last week. If he is in the Vatican, you can go on Wednesday for the Papal audience. Other than that I am not sure. I remember I took a photo of the schedule, so I will try to look for that on my disc and post another reply.
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 01:54 PM

When the Holy Father is at Castel Gandolfo (any time now), he will give the Sunday Angelus at 12 noon - no tickets needed. There are no Wednesday audiences until his return to the Vatican, from September.
Easiest way to get there is Regional Train (RE) from Termini. It takes about 40 min and the fare is 1.70 euro. There is one departing at 0840 on Sundays and next departure isn't till 1210.
You can also take subway 'A' to Anagnina and get a Cotral bus (T1: destination Velletri) to Castel Gandolfo. 1 euro for subway and 1 euro for bus (from ticket machine or bar). There is one leaving 10 am taking 30 min (plenty of time to make the 12 noon Angelus).
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 02:06 PM

According to the Santa Susanna bulletin, the next (and I believe only) audience in August at the Vatican will be on August 2nd. You request the free tickets from Santa Susanna or from the North American College in Rome (where seminarians are trained). They must be picked up the afternoon before.
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Of course, I am not getting there until 8/3 so unfortunately I will be missing the papal audience. But I am still waiting to see what the rest of his schedule is and whether or not he will be at Castel Gondolfo. If anyone else is looking for info too, visit

http://www.santasusanna.org/popeVati...peVatican.html

Thanks everyone for your help!
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

I'm back and we saw the Pope at Castel Gondolfo; a beautiful place. However, it was a hassle getting there. We took the train from Termini Train Station in Rome to the Castel Gondolfo stop and then took the bus. It was so overcrowded that I had to sit on the step where you walk onto the bus. I was there early but then they changed the bus stop and I lost my good spot. I had to beg to the bus driver (in Italian!) to let my husband and I on. But when we got there it was beautiful. Go the vendor that make nutella crepes - they were very good. Get there early to enter and see the pope, it was an amzing experience and so worth it. Go to the lake there by the church and take pictures, the water is amazing and have a gelato.

We had trouble getting back to Rome. There was ONE bus running and we waited three hours at the bus stop. The bus was so overcrowded and people were begging to get on. Then the bus driver had a tantrum saying he's been doing this for 20 years and he was the only one working that day. The transit service was unorganized and a bit of a disappointment. But again, I went there in August which is really busy!

Thank you Fodorites for your feedback!
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 01:36 PM

Hopefully, God will be pleased that you made such an effort to see the Pope!