Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   How to search for an openjaw ticket? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/how-to-search-for-an-openjaw-ticket-572013/)

LisaLou632 Nov 20th, 2005 11:13 AM

How to search for an openjaw ticket?

I did search the board and didn't find an answer.
I am planning a trip to London/Ireland and would really like an openjaw into London and out of Ireland. My problem is that when I search the travel search engines, I can't figure out how to request, search etc. an openjaw flight? I feel really silly but I would appreciate any tips, help? Thank you!

cobbie Nov 20th, 2005 11:26 AM

On Expedia you search for one way trips & built your flights there.

hipvirgochick Nov 20th, 2005 11:27 AM

try itasoftware got to the "mult-segment" tab. you can't do month long searches unfortunately with open jaw, you have to put in set dates (within one day). enter your dept and arrive on the first segment, your dept and return on the second segment, and then delete the third segment. If you find what you want, you can purchase flights elsewhere (Orbitz, Airline, Travelocity, etc). Good luck!

hipvirgochick Nov 20th, 2005 11:29 AM

Website is http://itasoftware.com/

TRSW Nov 20th, 2005 11:30 AM

Choose the 'multi-destination' tab.

rex Nov 20th, 2005 11:50 AM

One way travel searching is NOT the right answer, cobbie. I trust that you will not interpret this as my calling you a "liar", but your answer is simply wrong.

Best wishes,

Rex Bickers
Floyds Knobs, Indiana

ira Nov 20th, 2005 11:50 AM

Hi L,

Look under "Options" or "multicity"

See http://airtravelcenter.com/onetrav.htm

((I))

lyb Nov 20th, 2005 11:56 AM

No, No, don't do it with One way tickets, you'll possibly pay more. Do multi-city/locations...all search engines have that and all airline websites have it as well. That's what I did for my recent trip and I also do travel arrangements as part of my job and I do open jaws all the time for my boss.

SandyBrit Nov 20th, 2005 12:03 PM

LisaLou632

On American Airlines you have the choice of Round Trip, One Way and Multi-City. For open jaw click on Multi-City.

Good luck.
Sandy

jtrandolph Nov 20th, 2005 02:15 PM

For complicated things like this I use my travel agent. She can usually beat anything I can get on the web because of her contacts.

rex Nov 20th, 2005 03:10 PM

<<For complicated things like this I use my travel agent...>>

I am not trying to poke fun, jtr... but if your travel agents is handling "complicated things" like this, maybe s/he is turning to websites like this or eurotrip.com to find ideas on the best deals. And true enough, if it doesn't appeal to you to keep abreast of various internet sources of info... and you have a knowledgeable travel agent, then it might be best for you.

But the collective wisdom of those on this forum - - especially for something <i>as simple as an open jaw ticket to/from London/Ireland</i> (and I apologize if that sounds condescending) - - is superior to a large fraction of travel agents. Even if highly experienced travel agents are aavailable to LisaLou, she seems to want to learn how to do this with publicly available tools - - and all the better informed she can be if she chooses to ask a travel agent.

This is not a personal attack... but it is an &quot;attack&quot; against a viewpoint that runs contrary to the outlook of this forum.

&quot;We&quot; are a valuable source of travel info, comparable to (or superior to) travel &quot;professionals&quot;. Suggesting that &quot;they&quot; are where LisaLou should turn (first) is a contrarian view - - and good &quot;net-izenship&quot; compels me to speak out against it.

5alive Nov 20th, 2005 03:30 PM

Rex, I generally agree with your premise. Most people are here because they are trying to empower themselves to organize their own trip. However, I do think travel agents have access to consolidators and such that the public does not and in that case can beat a price.

I recently saw a thread on this board where people were debating different organized tour companies. To me that was the opposite of the Fodor's mentality but this is their forum too.

rex Nov 20th, 2005 04:13 PM

I am hoping that I can &quot;attack&quot; a viewpoint, without attacking the person who expressed it. And you're right, this forum belongs to all who register (and manage not to run afoul of rules that seem rather arbitrary and capricious these days), and those viewpoints can and should be expressed.

I hope that my viewpoint was &quot;pro-empowering&quot;, and I gladly acknowledge that learning as much as possible about using internet travel tools - - and THEN consulting with your choice of (the right) travel professional - - would be all the more empowering.

lyb Nov 20th, 2005 04:21 PM

in all honesty, a travel agent would probably not be all that thrilled to handle such a simple task..though it would take them a minute or two, as it would take anyone else, but the airlines pay such a miniscule commission on airline tickets, if any, that it is usually not worth it for a travel agent to do.

5alive Nov 20th, 2005 05:53 PM

lyb, you are right. It is my understanding that some/most travel agents now charge a straight service charge for tickets only.

Rita2171 Nov 20th, 2005 06:13 PM

Hey all..there seems to be some confusion as to what an open jaw is exactly. The definition of an open jaw is simply that you would be returning to a different originating city other than your original departure city (i.e Departing JFK to London but returning to Boston rather than JFK). If I understand the initial question, everyone's answer regarding multi-city itineraries is indeed correct. That would be the only way to do this type of trip with the airlines. Would you possibly pay more? Yes, more than likely they will price out as two one-way trips. However, doing it as a multi-city gives the airlines an option to price in a discount, if they have one is available. How do I do know this??? I work as a Reservations agent for US Airways. Hope this helps. Good Luck LisaLou632! :)

Clifton Nov 20th, 2005 06:53 PM

I've never flown US Air, so I am probably not the most knowledgeable resource, but so far, I've never had a mult-city itinerary price out as two one-way trips. At least not on American, Delta, Northwest, British, Qantas, Air New Zealand, Aer Lingus or Eva Air. May have forgotten one or two. So far, the price has generally been no more than a round trip would have been to the more expensive of the two destinations. Luckier yet, it's usually been a split in the difference between what the r/t costs would have been to either city.

There's every possibility though that I have been very lucky very often.

BabsB Nov 20th, 2005 06:55 PM

Rita, Now I'm confused. I thought an open jaw ticket worked as such, San Francisco to London then Amsterdam back to San Francisco. You start and end at the same place. If this isn't open jaw, what's it called?

rex Nov 20th, 2005 06:59 PM

Both are &quot;legal&quot; open jaws.

Depart A to B, return C to A

or

Depart A to B, return B to C.

The &quot;open&quot; segment is supposed to be shorter than either of the other segments.

Thus,

LAX to Chicago
Chicago to Miami

is not a legal open jaw...

Likewise

Chicago to LAX
Miami back to Chicago...

... is not either...

Even though both conform to the A/B/C examples given.

Rita2171 Nov 20th, 2005 07:25 PM

Rex is correct.I left out 2 important sentences when copying and pasting (should have re-read it first!) Sorry about that. :) But Rex has given a PERFECT example.