Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How To Say "No alcohol, please" in French

Jan 18th, 2002, 09:15 AM
JM

For personal reasons, I do not drink alcohol nor do I want my food preparred with alcohol. I saw a thread awhile back (can't seem to pull it up) with a translation that I can print out and present to the wait staff. Would someone be willing to pharse this in French for me? I will thank you now.

Jan 18th, 2002, 09:31 AM
Vincent

For a drink, ask : "Cette boisson est-elle alcoolisee ? " Then, if the waiter answers "oui", ask for "une boisson sans alcool" (the two "o"s are pronounced as one: "alkol"). There is no equivalent for "soft drink" in French, either order "une eau minerale", "gazeuse" (sparkling)or "plate" (still) or a Coke or whatever soft drink you are used to drinking in the States. For the preparation of your dish, ask: "est-ce que la sauce contient de l'alcool ? ", and if the answer is positive: "Pourriez-vous la preparer la preparer sans alcool s'il vous plait ". Actually, there are very few dishes with alcohol, maybe some with a wine sauce ("marchand de vin", literally "wine dealer", or "bordelaise"), and of course stay away from anything "flambe", be it an entree or a dessert. Normally, dishes with alcohol are pretty obvious on the menu: they will be accompanied by the mention "au cognac", "au pastis", or what have you, and are only likely to be found in quite high brow, albeit old-fashioned and/or provincial, restaurants

Jan 18th, 2002, 09:45 AM
Bob Brown

I don't think you will have a problem.
I avoid alcohol for medical reasons, and I don't speak French. By selecting carefully in Paris restaurants I have been successful so far.
In Germany and Austria, the problem has never arisen. If there is a wine sauce, I simply order something else.

Vincent is a good source on this.
Glad he is contributing again. His advice helped make my last two Paris trips successful. (And I have my ticket for another trip on the desk.)

Jan 18th, 2002, 10:00 AM
Bob C

Your main problem will be with uncooked sauces since with cooked items the alcohol is cooked away.