Notices

How to reserve train tickets online?

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 06:12 PM
Denise

How to reserve train tickets online?

Just checked out trenitalia.com for tickets from Milan to Venice on July 19th. We are arriving at 11 AM, so I figured a 1 Pm train would probably be the safest bet. The only train at 1 PM has initials "CIS" next to it. The others are IC (which I know are innercity trains and the second fastest). I am surprised to see that there are no ES trains till 5PM. What does CIS mean, and why does it say you can't purchase the tickets online? How do you go about reserving tickets?

Denise

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 06:20 PM
Sue

I know that 'CIS' means Cisalpino, which is a type of fast train (like Eurostar.) Can't say for certain why you can't purchase online, but I can't buy Vienna-Venice tix online at trenitalia because 2 countries are involved, not just Italy. Could be your train originates in Switzerland, so the same problem applies.

You may have better luck at bahn.de. (german rail) for situations like this. Good luck.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 02:32 AM
Sarah

I have had the same problem so

TTT

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 02:49 AM
Rob

The Trenitalia site has been out of action for months with a continuous message that it will be updated. They indicate you can book on-line but in reality you cannot. Try www.raileurope.com if you live in North America or UK. They seem to charge a fee for booking and delivery but seems you can do it.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 06:37 AM
Heather

I had the same problem and posted waaaay below. Someone recommended the CIT-Tours site which was very helpful. To purchase tix, had to call their 800#, but it was very easy. The tickets were more expensive than buying them in Europe, but less than raileurope.com.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 07:14 AM
Betsy

If you're a member of AAA, you can get European rail tickets without add-on charges.