Reload this Page >

How to protect film at airport security

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 03:19 PM
Jim

I will be traveling to Amsterdam next month and would like some suggestions on protecting film video and still when going through the airport security.

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 03:40 PM
scott

bhphotovideo.com carries lead foil bags by Op/Tech and Hakuba that will do the trick. Just do a search for "xray" on their website.

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 04:50 PM
Geoff

There is no need. Modern equipment has decreased the dosage to such an extent only the most sensitive specialty photo products would be affected. Unless you're a professional traveling with micro-grain products or "pushing" your film it's harmless. (1600 ASA is still OK)

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 05:20 PM
Ingrid

The Washington Post Travel Section had an article recently. Go to www.washingtonpost.com. I've read several places that the newest (post 9/11) x-ray machines are much harsher on film than previous ones.

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 07:03 PM
Jennifer

Are you talking about carry-on luggage or check-through? Here's the problem I've always had. I use the lead bags, but during the x-ray for the carryon, security can't see what's in them. So then, they make me take out the film (factory sealed).<BR><BR>I nearly got into a fight last year in Amsterdam with a security official. I had 1000 asa film, which is more sensitive to x-rays than a lower speed film. The man said he had NEVER heard of any machines ruining film! I asked him to *please* just hand-check it. He did, but only under extress duress and he made a HUGE fuss out of it and tried to embarrass me to death. {sigh}<BR><BR>To others who use lead bags -- how have you handled this situation? Surely, when security couldn't see what was in your luggage, they wouldn't just let it pass, would they?<BR><BR>Jennifer

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 07:01 AM
Geoff

There is no need. Modern equipment has decreased the dosage to such an extent only the most sensitive specialty photo products would be affected. Unless you're a professional traveling with micro-grain products or "pushing" your film it's harmless. (1600 ASA is still OK)

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 07:43 AM
Jim Tardio

I wish it were that simple, Geoff. The fact is that X-ray machines used to scan carry-on luggage...NOT CHECKED LUGGAGE...are normally safe for 4 or 5 passes of film in the 400 or lower speed range. However, the machine has to be properly calibrated. Your film can't be held up in the machine for more than a few seconds (make sure there isn't another bag in front of your film to hang things up). And, as reported in this months issue of National Geographic Traveler magazine, machines used for carry-on luggage are INCREASING there dosage.<BR><BR>"Micro-grain" products would fall into the catagory of film rated at 100 speed or lower. Whether you "push" your film or not, has no bearing on the film's recommended speed...400 speed film is still 400 speed film regardless of what ASA you expose it at.<BR><BR>For now, your film will probably be OK, Jim. Just make sure the machine is clear of bags. I always ask for a hand inspection. If it's denied, I make a point of letting the security people see that I am placing my film in a lead bag so they won't increase the dosage to see through the bag. <BR><BR>Something else I've run into are Xray machines at public tourist attractions...for example at the Vatican Museum and the Louve in Paris. These count as a pass through the machine.<BR><BR>It's getting tougher all the time for traveling photographers. I'll be switching to digital in the near future to avoid this whole mess. By the way, your video is not affected by Xrays...but the metal detectors can have an effect.<BR><BR>http://www.jimtardio.com

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 09:31 AM
Amy

Thanks for that reply Jim. I was just about to post a similar question, as I have recently heard some "horror" stories from two separate people coming back from Italy with blank film, blaming it on the x-ray at airports. As I am about to head to Italy with 16 rolls of film, I'd like for this not to happen to me!<BR><BR>I took Air Canada in December, and my carry-on luggage was stopped for hand check when they couldn't see through my lead bag. The gentleman gladly opened the lead bag and each film cannister, but this was at 6 a.m. when there was no one else to check at the security checkpoint. I will be boarding Alitalia during evening international flight rush hour, so I suspect they won't be so keen to hand check things.<BR><BR>Amy

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 12:17 PM
Gretchen

Your friends' blank film indicates they never took the pictures on the film not that x-ray hurt it. X-ray fogs film. They apparently either developed unexposed film or it did not get engaged in the camera.<BR>My experience in flying numerous times since 9/11 is that everything (underline the every) is going through the scanner.

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 02:00 PM
Jim Tardio

Amy, the folks with blank film probably placed their film in their checked luggage. Film that is subject to this kind of scanning will simply be blank, as your friends found out. It's as if you opened your camera with the film inside.<BR><BR>I've done it as a test just to see for myself what would happen. The result was mostly blank frames with some images visible, but severely fogged. I also have a roll of Provia 100 slide film that has now been passed through carry-on scanners 11 times. After 15 passes I'll process it and see the damage...if any.

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 03:10 PM
MK

A question-I was under the impression that, in the US, screeners had to honor requests to have a particular item hand inspected. True/False.<BR>Thanks

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 03:58 PM
Marie

Check:<BR> www.kodak.com<BR>in the search box type: airport security, or x-ray security -- you'll find your film answers there.