Search

How to prevent thievery in Hostels?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2011, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to prevent thievery in Hostels?

Hello
I am planning a backpacking trip through Europe in the latter part of 2012.
I will be 19, female, and traveling on my own (though i have friends in Italy and England so i have a few contacts in case of an emergency.)

I am looking to go from Greece ---> Italy ---> Spain in approx 6 weeks.
Due to not being luxuriantly rich, i am planning on spending nights in hostels.
From what i have researched, hostels can be safe (I plan on booking ahead and researching online reviews, ratings, ect)

Is there any advice that you can suggest that might make my stay in hostels better/safer? (I am far being a timid/shy creature)

Any advice would be awesome!
Thank you
Emm
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 06:53 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
This forum isn't your typical hostel type (older crowd here). You might find more help with hostels on the Lonely Planet's Thorntree forum.
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 07:03 PM

Be sure that your dorm bed comes with a locker and bring your own lock with you. That should safeguard your belongings.

To safeguard yourself - be open to making friends - but also trust your instincts (there are a bunch of creeps out there with rufies).
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

Oh, sorry Kybourbon... I have realized how much information there is out there, and just kinda picked a place to get started! which ended up being the wrong place I will check out Lonely Planets. Thank you
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 07:29 PM

I have heard that in most hostels you should not even go to the shower or the WC leaving your valuables (money, passports, camera) unless you have a LOCKEd locker for them.
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 07:31 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
There are a few people on this forum that stay in hostels so maybe they will respond. Lonely Planet attracts the younger backpacking age that is more budget travelers staying in hostels. If I'm staying budget, I tend to pick convents or monasteries in Italy instead of hostels because they are quiet.
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 08:52 PM

The best thing to do is use a rating site like Hostelbooker or Hostelworld and pick hostels with lockers. They will either give you a lock to use or you can use your own (I like combination locks so there's no key to lose). Other than that, always stick things out of sight so nobody gets tempted. Just use common sense and you'll be fine.
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 09:04 PM

Use a locker or sleep with your daypack/ valuables. And in some places you'd be advised not to hang them on the hook on the back of the door of the shower or toilet cubicle.
Old Apr 28th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

Ok, thanks for the responses. So pretty much, as long as you use common sense + internet you should be fine?
I won't really be traveling with any unnecessary valuables. (My camera is worth about $50 and i am bring a cheap netbook laptop, and not bringing any jewelery)
Old Apr 28th, 2011, 04:09 PM

Is this really a forum for older generations .. more "elite" travelers? I'm 33 , travel a lot choosing to stay in hotels and hostels depending on my savings. I have found this forum very interesting so far .. so much useful info for all sorts of travelers ...
Old Apr 28th, 2011, 09:10 PM

Yes indeed - but isn't 33 the new 53...

Peter
Old Apr 29th, 2011, 04:41 AM

While there are many on Fodor's who stay in 4* and 5* hotels I prefer cheap beds in B&Bs, hostels, and university dorms where the nightly price is about the same as breakfast at the George V in Paris. For an intro to hostels see http://tinyurl.com/3kjae8w. I am only 68. You see people of all ages in the low cost establishments, and a much friendlier group than in the high priced places.
Old Apr 29th, 2011, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Personally, i done both as well. Growing up with older parents ( my parents were in their mid thirties with me) and being the only child at home for the past 15 years, i have stayed in motels that are 5 stars, gone on 5 star cruises, but i also have stayed in 2 star hotels (so far, haven't stayed in any actually DREADFUL hotels... except one in key west) camped, stayed in homes of people in guatemala.... But living in the united states, i don't have much experience with hostels.

But thanks for the information If anyone else has any advice, it would be greatfully accepted This trip will not be my first out of country, but will be my first by myself.