Where to base in Provence?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2012, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted a message on Friday but maybe it was too ambitious so I will try again with fewer questions and hope to receive a response.
We have 10 days for Provence and the Riviera. Should we base ourselves in St., Remy and then another location for part of the time?. Is there something nice near Gordes?
Should we stay near Aix or another location to see the more eastern area before heading to St. Tropez?
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 03:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
St Remy is good for visiting, The Alpilles and Vaucluce and Aix for the Luberon villages and heading to St Tropez.
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 05:57 PM

It depends on what parts of Provence you are most interested in seeing? What are those? It's a huge area. If you haven't read about it an narrowed down the choices, now is the time to do so.
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 06:15 PM

The different towns in the Riviera are different, with each having it's own "feel". So I recommend you do some reading. Also, you might want to find out which days are Market days in the various towns in Provence -- it's a wonderful way to try local produce -- especially different kinds of cheese... yum! Mainly, be prepared to enjoy whatever you encounter, and don't get your heart set on any one thing... and you will have a great time. On one trip, my daughter and I had a Citroen, and kept getting lost in Avignon, and then having to back-up long thin alleys. So we turned it into a joke we laugh about to this day... ten years later...

Enjoy!

TF
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 07:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
TF, says it right but for you, here are the market days,
How I miss being in Provence but my husband died and I don't
drive. A must to enjoy that earthly paradise.

http://www.beyond.fr/a/calmktsday.html
Old Feb 5th, 2012, 12:23 AM

we stayed at "mas des carassins" in saint remy de Provence
http://www.masdescarassins.com/
there was another place as charming as this one (if not more) that we were tempted to stay at as well, but they were fully booked : Ferme de la Huppe in Gordes
http://www.lafermedelahuppe.com/
we could have dinner there , one evening and it was fantastic :!!!! both places have very nice owners and wonderful cuisine
Old Feb 5th, 2012, 11:06 AM
ez1

Don't mIss the market in L'Isle-sur-la-Sorque. Amazing. The area is also a wonderful base to explore many of the towns of provence.
Old Feb 5th, 2012, 12:12 PM

Last year I spent 2 nights in Gordes (mas des Romarins) and 3 nights in St. Remy (mas des carssins). I spent more time in St. Remy because I visited St. Remy, Arles, Pont du Gard and Les Baux.
I made sure to go to the market at St. Remy and Isle sur la Sorgue. Gordes also has a very nice market on Tuesday, I believe.

Then we went to St. Tropez for 3 nights but stayed in a little town called Ramatuelle. From there you can visit St. Tropez, Grimaud, Port Grimaud, the little wineries and we also went to the beaches at Pampelonne.

This year I did the same thing but instead of going to St. Tropez we spent 3 nights in St. Paul de Vence which we decided was a mistake. We should have stayed in Nice and just taken the train that takes you from one town to the next. Villefranche sur Mer looked like a great place to stay but I haven't done that. St. Paul was lovely but you only need to go there for a day. So you could use Nice as your base for that area.

With 10 days you have more flexibility. If you can fit in Aix and Cassis, that would be great.