Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   How to NOT dress like an American in Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/how-to-not-dress-like-an-american-in-europe-633298/)

pfatalbert Jul 23rd, 2006 01:55 PM

How to NOT dress like an American in Europe

Hello, I have heard that Americans stick out like sore thumbs when they visit Europe. My wife and I are going to Germany and France in late September / early Octber.

My question is to all the seasoned Euro travelers - or even better, people who live in Europe - what are some tips on how to NOT dress so "American" when we visit?

Specifically, I am talking about dress, not about how to act/behave.

For example, I have heard that only Americans wear shorts in Europe (in Sept/Oct, I wouldn't wear shorts regardless). Or I've heard many tales of Germans wearing socks with their Birkenstocks. So things like that would be helpful.

Thanks!
-Tom

alanRow Jul 23rd, 2006 02:00 PM

< I have heard that only Americans wear shorts in Europe >

About 50 years out of date with that belief.

Main way to spot an American is the noise level - they are much louder than any other group of tourists

saps Jul 23rd, 2006 02:01 PM

In Germany wear Lederhosen

In France wear berets

You will fit in just fine.

hypatia Jul 23rd, 2006 02:01 PM

come on tell us why you didnt find anything when you searched.....

francophile03 Jul 23rd, 2006 02:07 PM

They'll know you're American no matter what you wear.

Dukey Jul 23rd, 2006 02:11 PM

"Or I've heard many tales of Germans wearing socks with their Birkenstocks..."

Don't believe everything you hear but if you persist in doing so then the above might be an alternative for you.

flsd Jul 23rd, 2006 02:12 PM

Just make sure to split those infinitives and wear black. You'll be fine.

Fidel Jul 23rd, 2006 02:13 PM

phatalbert, your correspondents seem very weary, don't they? The reason is that you sound just like the troll who tortures us with this question about every week. If you are serious, and are clothing-conscious, you would know what to do already; if you are just stabbing around in the dark, don't worry about it because you are clueless and there is no hope.

Neopolitan Jul 23rd, 2006 02:14 PM

"About 50 years out of date with that belief.

Main way to spot an American is the noise level - they are much louder than any other group of tourists."

These two statements could easily be reversed as well. Obviously alanRow, you haven't been on a bus with a group of German tourists lately -- or on a boat with a group of Italians out for the day. Then there was the night there were six Russians clear across a restaurant from us. Their loud talking (yelling, actually) and laughing almost made it impossible for us to even hear the waiter when he was speaking to us. Trust me, Americans are NOT the only loud ones when in groups.

alanRow Jul 23rd, 2006 02:14 PM

Learn to walk properly - it's amazing the number of Americans I see that move as if they've got a large dog (or small horse) between their legs.

Padhraicin Jul 23rd, 2006 02:17 PM

American accents are usually the give-away. Could I suggest changing your accent - maybe, using a German accent in France and a French accent in Germany.

murphy89 Jul 23rd, 2006 02:20 PM

Dont fret pfatalbert. The best way to fit in is to be yourself.

Dress however you want - the Europeans do :D

Good Travels,

Murphy

Barbara_in_CT Jul 23rd, 2006 02:24 PM

Skip the shorts, t-shirts with "I'm with Stupid" and baseball caps on backwards. They will still know you are an American but they might think more kindly of you. Learn a few French words (and a few German) and most of the natives will speak English immediately.

Have a great trip.

BillJ Jul 23rd, 2006 02:54 PM

"How not to dress like an American."
Leave all your clothes at home, when you arrive, go to local shops and buy stuff, making sure there are no items with American logos. The stuff you wore going over; throw it away. There, now you will dress like a European, which is the same as everyone else, but you'll still be an American.
and what is wrong with that, may I ask?
I wore a little red white and blue on our last trip, especially on 4 July. Never was mugged or anything.
Are you a troll?

pfatalbert Jul 23rd, 2006 03:04 PM

I don't really know what a 'troll' is. Sorry, I'm a new user on this site (obviously).

I was just asking if there were any sure-fire signs that scream 'American' when you're there.

I realize the attitude, actions and language are a dead give-away too.

Maybe I'll just dress like mid-70's ABBA and pretend I'm Nordic!

rapunzll Jul 23rd, 2006 03:11 PM

I've heard white tennis/running shoes are a dead give away, and I didn't wear them when I went and won't when I go again in a couple of months, but only because they are not as comfortable as other shoes I have.

Then again, I'm not worrying about whether I look like an American or not! :-)

JAGIRL Jul 23rd, 2006 03:21 PM

Wear whatever you'd wear at home.
You're a tourist. Nobody cares.

But, there is a rule that you must follow no matter what.

<font color="red">Never, <u><i>ever</i></u> <font color="black">ba<font color="blue">nd.
</font></font></font>

Catbert Jul 23rd, 2006 03:25 PM

I don't get this small horse between their legs thing.

LoveItaly Jul 23rd, 2006 03:28 PM

Ah JAGIRL, I was waiting to see which Fodorite was going to give the instructions about not banding, lol!!

pfatalbert, what is wrong pray tell about looking like an American? Just curious as to your thinking.

ma23peas Jul 23rd, 2006 03:44 PM

I don't get the banding...someone explain?

The last time I was in England, I was walking back to our flat and a gentleman grabbed my shoulders, smiled and proceeded in French phrases speaking 0- to nothing...he interrupted his speech only to kiss me on both cheeks about 5x...I just stood there dumbfounded. When I opened my mouth and a Southern Alabama accent came out...he about jumped out of his pants and started apologizing up and down. He tried in his best English to explain I looked just like a girl that worked at a store in Paris that he had known for a few years. I did wear a lot of black that day...maybe that's the trick.

Tara