How to limit the driving headaches and see Oxford, Cotswolds, Stratford

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am plugging away on the plans for my book club's tour in early June 2013. My next section of the trip that is confusing me involves Oxford/Cotswolds/Stratford Upon Avon.

We arrive via 2 cars in the evening to Oxford. We have a fairly short list of sightseeing to do in Oxford- most of us have been there before- and then want to do some exploring in a few of the Cotswold towns before heading to Stratford. We have 2 days for this.

My questions- does anyone have a good B&B on the outskirts of Oxford that we could get into the city centre easily from and could also use as a base for exploring the Cotswolds? Or is there a better central location between Oxford-Stratford that would make more sense for us to stay in and day trip out each day?

Between Oxford and Stratford- which 2 or 3 villages would you recommend we concentrate our time on?

After we are done in Stratford, we plan to drive to Haworth - I think that is about 3 hours but am I completely wrong on that time frame?

For a day trip into Stratford- is there somewhere to park-ride into town or is it not that awful to drive ourselves into town and find parking?

Thanks for any help you can give me!
Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 07:30 PM

It really does depend on which day you are planning on driving into Stratford. For sure there are lots of car parks but it can get quite busy. There is a car park just out of town ( think 5 minutes walk) which is pretty handy. If you are going at the weekend there is a handy Stratford council car
PArk which is available to the public, I can always park there as I think it's only really know to locals, so if you trip falls on the weekend let me know and I can give you the details. Either way you will be able to park, it just could be slightly busy getting in but nothing on the scale of say London, so I wouldn't worry.
Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 10:32 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd probably look for a B&B in Woodstock. Convenient to Oxford, convenient to the Cotswolds, and on the road you'll take to Stratford.
Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 10:42 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
meant to add -- driving and parking in Stratford is easier than driving/parking in Oxford. I have no problems finding parking in a lot in Stratford even though it is usually congested. Often in the Bridgefoot lot.

For Oxford, it is best to use one of the Park & Ride lots. From Woodstock you'd use the Peartree roundabout park and ride.
Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 11:23 PM

Be mindful though if you are anywhere near Pear tree in the morning or evening rush hour, it's gridlock most days.
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 12:56 AM

There is now a Park and Ride for Stratford. http://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/stratfordparkandride
has the maps and the details. It looks like a good choice if you have two cars and want to stay for a while.
We have never used it since there is usually plenty of parking unless you are there on a sunny Saturday or Sunday in the summer.
If you fancy something a little different there is parking at the Recreation Ground off Swans Nest Lane on the other side of the river. From here you can either walk the long way around over the bridge to the main town or catch the chain operated foot ferry across the Avon.
http://www.businessdirectory4u.com/l...ord-foot-ferry
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

That is what I needed- thanks everyone. We will aarive on a Thursday night and have until Sunday night to explore. I appreciate the help.