Strasbourg! What to do, what to visit??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2017, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! I'm going to a school exchange on autumn into Strasbourg, and I would be very pleased to have some advise from people who have visited this city or live here. And I don't need any tips for night-life: I'm underage.
Any good and popular restaurants? Any cafes with the legendary and super delicious croissants? Any places I should go to? Any parks that are worth a visit? Any interesting shops (especially bookshops: i have a proud addiction to books) Any magnificent school campuses? Any events that are happening at autumn?
I would appreciate any piece of advice / information about Strasbourg, because i have no idea where I'm headed to (except the info in wikipedia haha)!
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 05:38 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
One thing to know about croissants in Strasbourg is that they have glazed sugar on them, unlike croissants in the rest of France. This already prevents them from being super delicious.
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 05:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Love Strasbourg! See:

https://mytimetotravel.wordpress.com...in-strasbourg/

https://mytimetotravel.wordpress.com...ng-strasbourg/

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...omment-5664318
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 06:18 AM

If you have a proud addiction to books - and good for you! - buy or borrow every guidebook to Strasbourg/Alsace-Lorraine you can get your hands on and start reading.

And get familiar with the official Strasbourg city website, which will inform you about upcoming events.
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 06:59 AM

No local from Strasbourg on the forum I fear but we have an armchair travel posting a link from a US newspaper.
Short of that buy a few guidebooks. My favorites are the green Michelin guides.
Made by French for the French.
But I suppose Rick Steves has a book on it too.
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 07:01 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I have photo reports about both September in Strasbourg and also the Christmas markets, but since you are going to be living there, you need different information than what tourists do.

For example, the UGC Ciné Cité is the best "general" cinema there although there are of course art houses for more obscure or less commercial films.

The tramway system is excellent, so if you can find accommodations near a tram station you will be happier than if you have to rely on a bus line. For the hardy (particularly during the winter months), Strasbourg is the most bike friendly city in France.
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 08:26 AM

While you're reading up you should pay attention to the area's special between Germany and France status and unique culture . . .right down to French versions of German food and/or vice versa. The most recently constructed German part of the city was recently declared a French national monument. This between two cultures situation affects all of Alsace. The more you know, the more you'll enjoy its rich heritage.
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 12:29 PM

The very best sole meuniere I've ever had anywhere was in a restaurant right by the cathedral on the corner, same side of street to left of cathedral. Sorry, I no longer have the name, but it should be easy to find.
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 04:04 PM

The view from atop the Cathedral is lovely.

I missed out on Cloche au Fromage while I was there but you might be interested in trying it. http://www.fromagerie-tourrette.com
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 04:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ate twice at the Cloche au Fromage - highly recommended.