Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How to learn Italian in 60 days or less? Help!

Old Apr 19th, 2000, 11:51 PM
diane

Are there any internet sites about this? There must be some paisanos out there? Was that the right term? You can see I need help.

Old Apr 20th, 2000, 12:22 AM
Caroline

Dear Diane:
I don't know about any internet sites but the Berlitz cassettes with guide on Basic Italian helped me a lot. I don't know how you could learn without hearing the beautifully phoenetic language. Maybe you wanted the net listings for language schools? (I didn't understand why you wanted internet sites.) Caroline

Old Apr 20th, 2000, 06:59 AM
JACK

TRY THIS SITE. www.fodors.com/language/

Old Apr 20th, 2000, 10:44 AM
Dona

Diane,

I recommend tapes also. And try this website. It "speaks" to you...

http://www.travlang.com/languages/

Dona

Old Apr 22nd, 2000, 08:54 AM
Nigel Doran

Try this site:
(B B C language courses are generally regarded as being very good, but I would say that, wouldn't I?)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/langu...an/index.shtml

Old Apr 22nd, 2000, 06:51 PM
John

I am a senior going in May to Italy. Having not studied in 40 years I had trouble with the tapes and language books. So I attended a 12 week "Conversational Italian" course at a local college. I take my last class this Monday and I must say I have had the time of my life . The profferor and other students are very forgiving of my slowness in picking up the language. This may turn out to be one of the highlights of my trip.

I have been able to call Italy and book hotels with people who do not speak English and have them actually understand me, even though I know my grammer is terrible.

So don't give up and you will have the time ofyour life like I am having

John

Old Apr 23rd, 2000, 06:40 AM
Donna

The CD programs by The Learning Company are excellent! "Interactive" Most stores have previous versions (the latest version is not worth the extra) in the bargain section.

Old Apr 26th, 2000, 01:45 PM
Joseph cameron

I've studied Italian on my own and this is what I use (and am using right now) - and all are paperbacks:

1. Idiot's Guide
2. Oxford Dictionary
3. Verbs and Essentials of Grammar - Carlo Graziano
4. Living Language tapes with coursebook (40 lessions - takes 2 1/2 hours - helps to speak)
5. 501 Italian verbs.

Stay away from phrase books except for seeing what types of situations you may encounter - the words and phrases are based on what other folks have discovered. Do not use their tapes.

A few more tips: do not be afraid to speak while you're there - it is a kind country for people trying to learn Italian. Learn the formalities - do not use Ciao, for example. Focus on the verb tenses: present, simple past, future, and the conditional (for politeness). E.g., use Vorrei, not Voglio, when saying you want something to eat or drink. Be polite and charming and friendly in all that you do, and keep it formal. Do NOT expect to be fluent or converstaional in just 60 days. Just try to handle your travel, plans and everyday needs, and you'll be successful. And above all esle, work on saying it clearly and correctly. Help folks understand you. And keep it as simple as possible. Good luck.

Old Apr 26th, 2000, 07:16 PM
Frank

I've been studying Italian on my own, mostly, since last October or so. I must agree with Nigel that the BBC series is really excellent if you can find them. We used their videotapes, book, and audiotapes called "Buongiorno Italia" in some evening adult classes at the local university. I also have some programmatic tapes I ordered from a company called Audio-Forum, 1-800-243-1234. Now that I've managed to acquire some of the basics (but well short of fluency), I've enjoyed a series from Passport Books called "Practice and Improve Your Italian." It's at the low-intermediate level and is available form Audio-Forum. I agree that phrase books are handy only for looking up something in a particular situation, and that you need a sense of the grammar (yes, some conjugations, the bewildering pronouns, how to form plurals, etc.) It's a fun language and I'm looking forward to using more of it (I've been able to make hotel reservations and post other inquiries in Italian -- so far, so good). I think it's important to learn as much as one can of the language of the host country, something we Americans are notorious for failing to appreciate.