Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How to go to Germany and Austria for two weeks on less than $1500!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2008, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This sort of ties in with the "are travel rewards programs worth it" thread so it's somewhat timely.

My husband and I are going to Germany and Austria this December for 14 nights. We used 160,000 AA miles for 2 Business class tickets and got the flights and dates we wanted (of course it helps that we're still 10 months out). Taxes on each ticket were $117.

Then we're using Starwood Cash + Points for 9 of the 14 nights we'll be there. Most of the nights are 4000 pts plus $60 cash. The good thing about this is my cost doesn't depend on the fluctuation of the US dollar!! So for 9 nights our outlay of Starwood points is 35200 pts and $570 cash.

Another night will be using 40000 Priority Club points - 30000 of which I got just for signing up for a new Chase Visa card - so $0 spent there.

We'll still have to pay for 4 of the hotel nights - 1 night in Fussen ($150), 2 nights in Rothenburg ($350) and 1 night in an indeterminate location but I'll figure $150 on that one.

Of course this doesn't include food and also our rental car once we get there, but for airfare and hotel I think I'm doing pretty good so far!!
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 09:45 AM

Your lodging costs in Rothenburg and Fuessen seem a bit high. Did you pick more expensive places for a particular reason? Some people do like to splurge on accomodations, and that's fine, but it sounded as though you had budget concerns.

You should be able to find a nice place in Rothenburg's Altstadt for under $150 (well, at the current exchange rate anyway).

In the Fuessen/Hohenschwangau/Schwangau area, you should be able to find a nice place for two people including breakfast for around $90-120 a night; e.g., Hotel Waldmann or Alpenhotel Meier or Gastehaus Weiher.
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

I guess you could say we're splurging for those few nights. We don't really have budget concerns though; just trying to take advantage of using up points.

I had budgeted $3000 for 14 nights initially but when I saw all of the places I could get w/Starwood points (and *nice* places too like Le Meridiens and Westins) I decided to go a little crazier on the nights that I do have to pay for.

It's still a long way off so I'll keep looking around and maybe I can find some less expensive options that I like.
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 10:24 AM

OK! I have nothing against the occasional splurge!

I will say that we had a very nice Bavarian meal at the Alpenhotel Meier's restaurant 4 years ago.
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 11:17 AM

Sounds like my trip to France next month.

Monday I found a frequent flyer ticket (Business Class) over Easter weekend (leave Tuesday before, return Wed after)

So I booked it. Airfare with taxes $122.

Four nights Paris - Three free at Marriott Rive Guache. One free at Hilton CDG.

That leaves me three nights. Booked a hotel in Lyon for two of them that was recommened on her for around $120 a night. Still need one last night. Either Beaune or Dijon.....

I do have train tickets too, but it's still not going to be too bad!
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

That's awesome, CarolA!!

I find playing the mileage/points game so much fun. Sure it has it's occasional frustrations, but when it works out it's soooo worth it!!
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 03:55 PM

With the dollar's woes I like to pay for as much stuff in advance (on this side of the pond) as I can. For your rental car check with Gemut.com and pay in advance in dollars. It appears that you have done a great job of getting as much as possible on FF miles and Starwood Points (+ cash). That will leave food, fun and local expenses like gasoline to be bought with those expensive Euros.