How to go to Anacapri from Capri

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2009, 01:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I alongwith my family would be visiting Capri island in June for a day trip from Rome. We would reach Capri's dock at around 12 o'clock. We have a train back to Rome at around 7 pm from Naples. We have visited the Island earlier also. That time we took a boat which took us around the Island and we saw Blue Grotto from outside as we could not enter into it because of high tides. But this time we want to go to Anacapri but still want to see again the Blue Grotto. My queries are as follows:

1. Is it adviseable to go to Anacapri and come back to dock of capri so as to reach Naples on time to catch the train to Rome within such a short time?

2. If it is adviseable please tell which bus will go to Anacapri and its schedule and about the purchase and price of the tickets.

3. What are the best things to do in Anacapri within such a short time? How can we reach Blue Grotto from Anacapri? Is Blue Grotto same as Grotta Azzura?

I am asking these things in advance in order to avoid wasting my time in enquiring about these things after reaching Capri.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 03:41 AM

Well I think you are mad to visit Capri as a day trip from Rome. I wouldn't even visit as a day trip from Naples - it's much nicer to stay overnight for at least one night and enjoy the peace & quiet away from the crowds. But each to their own.

You don't need a bus schedule, they are very frequent. Just get the bus or funicular up to Capri Town & get the next bus to Anacapri from the bus station. You can just pay the driver, from what I remember. The journey doesn't take long.

You can then get another bus from Anacapri to a stop right above the Blue Grotto. The times of return journeys will be posted at the bus stop. Just walk down the steps and one of the small boats will come over to pick you up. IMO this is a much better way of visiting the Blue Grotto than getting a big boat there & then queuing to get off into a small boat.

Theoretically, while in Anacapri you could get the chairlift up Monte Solaro but it's never been open when I've been there. I would either spend a few hours at the beach club next to the Blue Grotto bus stop, or just get the bus back to Capri Town and do a nice walk from there. Have you been to the Arco Naturale ? There are 2 routes there, an easy one through town or a longer slightly more difficult one round the coat, incorporating the site of a Roman shrine. I like to take the longer walk there, have a drink or lunch at the nearby cafe then take the shorter walk back.

Grotta Azzurra is the Italian for Blue Grotto.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 04:58 AM

I did a day trip to Capri earlier this month from Sorrento and thought that did not leave nearly enough time.

We left Sorrento on the 9:40am fast ferry and arrived at Capri's Marina Grande just before 10:30am. There were large crowds getting off the boats (there were several that arrived at the same time), but that was probably because it was a Friday of the May Day holiday weekend.

Once we made our way from the dock we took one of Capri's convertible taxi's to Anacapri. The cost for the taxi was 25 Euro and in retrospect we could have easily taken the bus, but we wanted the taxi experience.

When we arrived in Anacapri the first thing we did was the chairlift up to Mt. Solaro. It was a beautiful ride up and the views from the top were stunning, we were fortunate to have a spectacular weather day!

We came back down on the chairlift and walked about Anacapri looking in shops and taking lots of pictures. We then took the bus from Anacapri to Capri Town. Caroline is correct, the buses run every 5 or 10 minutes and you can purchase tickets from the driver.

We arrived in Capri Town and walked about a bit, the streets were very crowded (again, the holiday weekend). By 2:30 we decided to take the bus from Capri Town down to Marina Grande and have lunch in a little place overlooking the water and then we were on the 4:15 fast ferry back to Sorrento. The day went all to quickly and if I ever go back to Capri would plan to spend at least one night on the island.

We did not get to the Blue Grotto, so I can't help with that.

Enjoy your time there...it truly is beautiful.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 05:39 AM

There are tours to the Blue Grotto right at the main dock. Check there right away. They might not even be running that day because of sea conditions, and you can do something else. Seeing you have been before, you probably know what you want to see and what you don't, but personally I'd rather take the chairlift from Anacapri to Monte Solaro. To get a 7pm train, you would need to get the 5:10pm SNAV at the latest to be safe. Five hours on Capri isn't much, but can be done I guess.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for such a fantastic information. Can you tell me how much are the prices of the ticket for the buses from Marina Grande (Capri)to Capri Town, Capri Town to Anacapri Town, Anacapri Town to Blue Grotto and back. Are children allowed tree travel on these buses? We are going in a group, so this information would be helpful to us. Also please tell how much are the charges for the Chairlift from Anacapri to Monte Solaro and the boat to see the blue grotto from Anacapri. I have checked from the trenitalia website about the train back to Rome from Naples. The IC train leaves Naples at approx.8.30 pm and reaches Rome Termini at approx. 10.30 pm. So we have plenty of time.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 08:17 AM

A single ticket on the bus is E1,30 or you can get a smart-card called Unico Capri for E6,70 plus E1 deposit. The card gives you 2 rides on the funicular and unlimited travel on the buses for a day.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 08:25 AM

I forgot. The chairlift is E6 one way and E8 round trip. Kids under 8 are free.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 02:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I wouldn't put a child under 8 years of age alone on the chairlift. You're apparently allowed to hold a small child on your lap, but the adult doing this should be strong and agile. The lift does not stop to let you get on/off.

http://tinyurl.com/rbxupr
Old May 23rd, 2009, 12:48 AM

Motu - I suggest you leave Rome earlier ... and aim to be in Capri by 10a.m.

To go all that way just for a few hours in the afternoon is far too rushed IMO ...

Steve
Old May 23rd, 2009, 04:24 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks for such a good information. In our group, we will have around 6 children within the age of 10 and one of November 1998 birth. Should we purchase the tickets for them in the buses in Naples, Capri and Anacapri.
Old May 24th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Still waiting reply on my last post. Would be grateful for an early reply.
Old May 26th, 2009, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Still waiting reply from Fodorites on my earlier post. In addition to that, please tell what is the approx. journey time on bus from Napoli Centrale to Napoli Dock, Napoli Dock to Marina Grande (Capri), Marina Grande to Capri Town, Capri Town to Anacapri Town (Mt. Solaro), Anacapri to Blue Grotto and back.
Old May 26th, 2009, 07:51 AM
P_M

If the Blue Grotto is a priority then check the schedule for the tides. I've been to Capri twice and both times I was unable to get into the grotto due to high tides.

Sorry I can't answer your other questions but if nothing else this will top the thread for you.