Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

how to go from est gare to la defence in Paris?

Dec 19th, 2004, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Hi again
my date is close so i started to get nervous about how to go to la defence from l'est gare in Paris? And at night. I know that tube is working at that time but with my luggage does it impossible to use it? Is the only way to take a taxi? I am not sure about having a taxi at night in a foreign city. As my trip to Bangkok and Athens, do they like to give a city tour to tourists?
waiting for your answers
Dec 19th, 2004, 09:56 AM

If you can handle your luggage, here is the cheapest (and fastest) route:
At Gare de l'Est take Metro line 7 (direction Villejuif-Louis Aragon) to Opera. Change there to RER line A (direction Poissy + Cergy or St-Germain en Laye) and take it to La Defense.

Visit www.ratp.fr to download and print a Metro/RER map. The site is viewable in English. You cna also use the Route Planner there.
Dec 20th, 2004, 07:21 AM

The Metro and RER tickets are interchangeable in Zone 1. You can take either type of train that suits your needs with a Metro ticket. If the Metro takes you there the RER can too.

La Défense is different. A metro ticket will take you there on Metro Line 1. If you want to take the RER A you have to buy a ticket valid for La Défense which is in Zone 2.

What this boils down to is the possibility of an on-the-spot fine if you are in Zone 2 on the RER with a Metro ticket. This could happen between the Charles de Gaulle Etoile and La Défense stops on the RER A. I think it's less than 50euros.

The Metro takes maybe 10, 15 minutes longer.

BTW how late at night? The Metro trains make their last runs a bit past midnight.
Dec 20th, 2004, 10:25 AM

metro tickets aren't by zone, but by an area called "zone urbain" which is simply anywhere the metro goes, whether in zone 1, 2 or even 3. A metro ticket is not restricted to zone 1, but the metro system, but is good for the RER inside Paris, which I believe is considered zones 1-2.

I think La Defense is actually in zone 3, not zone 2, and that's the problem. If it were in zone 2, I think the metro ticket would work.

Dec 20th, 2004, 10:34 AM

What Christina said, plus if you're contemplating a transit pass, make sure it includes Zones 1-3 if you're staying in La Défense. A 3-zone pass will work on both Métro and RER. You can get it at Gare de L'Est when you arrive.

This is that ONE exceptional case where a Paris Visite pass is cheaper than Mobilis cards for a 2-3 day stay.