Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How to get two HUGE suitcases from Paris to Manchester

Old May 5th, 2006, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been living in Paris for the past year, and am now moving to Manchester to live for a time. I, unfortunately, have HUGE quantities of crap that for various reasons can not be replaced or left behind. (Trust me, if I could, I would leave it ALL behind!) I'm planning on taking the eurostar from Paris to London (where I can happily check my luggage for a fee). However will I have a problem on the local train to manchester? Will there be a space for exessive luggage? Does anyone else have anyother suggestions? Car rental is out of the question because I don't drive. Thanks!
Old May 5th, 2006, 03:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Do you know anyone who can meet you in London and take your sttuff?
Old May 5th, 2006, 03:40 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Could you pack up & ship ahead a couple of boxes? Rather than try to carry everything when you go? Lighten your load for what you carry yourself.
Old May 5th, 2006, 03:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Maybe ship the lightest stuff to save on postage?
Old May 5th, 2006, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

Unfortunately I don't know anyone in London who can take my stuff. Do you have any idea how much it would cost to ship to the UK? I could potentially leave my stuff in Paris for a several months, and take the train back to Paris to get it before I return home to the US. (I won't need it until I return home.) I'm however reluctant to pay the extra 75 euros of the euros star to retrieve it. Ultimately I want the cheapest option as I never have any money!
Old May 5th, 2006, 03:54 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Then why not ship some of it home right now? Do you have an address in the U.S. that could receive it?
Old May 5th, 2006, 06:33 PM

I travel with massive amounts of luggage every summer on my way to and from uni. There's plenty of room on trains, just try to be early for your train so you can find a car with empty luggage racks. Its a pain to haul suitcases around on trains though. It won't be a fun trip for you, but its manageable.

Have you considered flying? Even if you have to pay an excess baggage fee, it might still be cheaper and certainly easier than taking the Eurostar, paying excess baggage there, then getting on to a UK train. I'm not sure, but wouldn't you have to change train stations in London? That's just an extra pain when you've got lots of luggage.