how to get to venice from airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2006, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are leaving for Venice in 3 weeks.what is the best way to get from the airport to our hotel,Palazzo Sant Angelo.It is near St Marks...we arrive at 11:30 AM..and how much does it costs,so we can have enough euros with us.
Old May 17th, 2006, 10:13 AM
rex

See recent and detailed discussion on http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34803088

Best wishes,

Rex
Old May 17th, 2006, 10:28 AM

ttt
Old May 17th, 2006, 10:30 AM

Please post a report when you return! We are also staying at Palazzo Sant Angelo in Sept though we are driving from Rome. Have a wonderful time!!
Old May 17th, 2006, 12:16 PM

I think this is a popular question because if you have never been to Venice it just doesn't seem easy to get to your hotel. We are going in 3 weeks and I don't know a water taxi from a gondola from an aliguna (or whatever the heck that is)from a canoe! Our hotel sent directions but until I've done it one time I will be a bit apprehensive. Especially since we arrive at 8 PM after flying NY to Dublin and then spending 5 and a half hours in Dublin. D'oh!
Old May 17th, 2006, 12:27 PM

A water taxi is exactly that: a private taxi, but by boat. Generally they are lovely wooden "Chris Craft" type boats that hold about 6 persons maximum. Last I hear, the charge from the airport to most anywhere in Venice was 80 euros (per boat, not per person).

The Alilaguna is a "water bus"---in other words, a large boat that carries lots of passengers. They run on regular schedules between the airport dock and several stops in Venice. You can view the routes (there are two, Red and Blue) and schedules on their website:
http://www.alilaguna.com/
I believe the cost is around 10 euro per person; it may be covered if you buy one of various Venice transport cards.

If the Alilaguna doesn't stop near your hotel, you can take a vaporetto from the Alilaguna dock to one nearer your hotel. Vaporetti are also public conveyances, similar to city busses if you will. Make sure you understand the rules about ticketing before you board one.

Gondolas are a whole separate thing---small, private boats in a traditional style, rowed by a professional gondelier, available for hire by the hour. Pricy.
Old May 17th, 2006, 01:04 PM

A good first step would be to identify which airport you will be arriving at. Marco Polo near Mestre for most airlines, and Treviso for some of the discount carriers.
Old May 17th, 2006, 08:07 PM

Good explanation from enzian.

A water taxi is just like a land taxi, but it floats and doesn't have wheels. It will pick you up where you want to be picked up, and drop you off where you want to be dropped off (as long as there's navigable water).

A vaporetto is just like a city bus, except for the floating and no wheels. There are vaporetto stops just like bus stops in a regular city every few "blocks." The vaporetto only picks up and lets off passengers at these designated stops.

The Alilaguna is a medium-haul water bus--not a local. Best known for taking people between the main part of Venice and the airport (with a couple of other stops here and there).

Just as on land, the "taxi" costs a lot more than the "bus."
Old May 18th, 2006, 05:06 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
There is actually a third Alilaguna line (I believe it is Gold), which runs somewhat less frequently (on the :30 from 8:30 to 15:30) and goes direct from Airport to San Marco. I took it last week. The difference is fewer stops (none) and 14 euro more than the Red or Blue lines.