Reload this Page >

How to get to Pompeii from Naples?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2001, 11:44 AM
Dara

I will be in Naples for 2 days & would like to go to Pompeii to see the ruins. Any first hand suggestions on transportation to and from would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance

Old Apr 8th, 2001, 11:54 AM
Don

I took that trip many years ago and it was quite easy as there were clear signs in the station. As we are returning to Italy in April, I watched a recent smarttravel show that said you use the "Pompeii/Scavi" train. Not to worry, just watch your purse or wallet.

Old Apr 8th, 2001, 11:59 AM
Walter

I "snipped" this section from a Rome to Pompeii trip report I posted in the past. HTH Regard, Walter<BR>&lt;&lt;&lt;At Napoli *Centrale* Train Station you switch to the Cs train (all this is also signposted and is ~150m with 60 stairs-2 long flights &amp; 2-3steps) in front of track 13 near the front doors is a wide staircase going down to the Cs (Circumvesuviana) which is a commuter train to Herculaneum, Pompeii, and Sorrento (in that order). At the bottom of the stairs bear left, you come upon a hallway with the Cs ticket windows on the left (Metro ticket windows on the right). R/T ticket to Pompeii is 6200L. At the end of this short hall to the right is a wide hall (moving walkways) and the end of this hall are the Cs turnstiles, on the wall in front of you 2 boards will post the next 2 arriving trains, you want the *Sorrento* train (don't worry if it's not listed yet). There are 4 tracks, you'll *probably* want Bin 3. Half-way down *each* platform is another Departure Board and it will list that train's destination &amp; time. The train's destination for you will be "Sorrento", this train runs every half-hour. *This* train stops at Ercolano (Herculaneum) (18min) and Pompeii in ~40min and Sorrento in ~1hr. The stop you want is "Pompeii Scavi-Villa dei Misteri", you walk under the tracks (w.c) into the small station, outside the station turn right and walk 50m (I would buy water/snacks or a guidebook if you need to along here also a tourist restaurant there) to the ticket windows 12,000L (w.c. and giftshop). There are "Licensed" guides (Gov't ID's worn I believe) outside the gate that charge ~$35/$40US hour per *tour* *not* per person, same price as for 1 person or for a small group. At the ticket *collecting* booth (not the ticket sales window) there is a "Luggage Storage" room on the right. After you enter the site you come across the Forum, look to the left at the far end, that is the Temple of Jupiter *behind* the temple is a building with a restaurant, snack bar, giftshop, and w.c. If you wish to visit the Villa dei Misteri in the NW corner of Pompeii, do so at the end of your visit (you *cannot* re-enter the site afterwards). You must exit here (restaurant &amp; private w.c.-1000L) and walk back (600m) to the same Cs station. ...............To visit Herculaneum (Ercolano) exit the platform (Ercolano CS station-half way between Naples and Pompeii only 1 way out) and the *only* street (45deg to your right), takes you *right* to the entrance after a 6 min. downhill walk towards the Bay of Naples. Impossible to get lost or miss. Also right outside the CS station are taxi minivans that will take you to atop Mt. Vesuvius (not sure of the cost, but they'll be "pitching" to you as you walk by also "Let's Go Italy" mentions that there is a bus from the station to Mt. Vesuvius (I'd assume either in or probably just outside the small parking lot?<BR>

Old Apr 8th, 2001, 12:02 PM
Georgine

Dara,<BR><BR>You would take the Circumvesuviana train to the Pompeii/Scavi stop. The entrance to the ruins is about a block away from the station.<BR><BR>The "Circumvesuviana" trains depart from the lower level of the main station in Naples. Departures are frequent and tickets are very inexpensive. The circumvesuviana is basically a commuter train that runs around the Bay of Naples with stops all the way to Sorrento.<BR><BR>If you have the time and energy, you can see both the ruins at Pompeii and the ruins at Herculaneum in one touring day.<BR>(The ruins at Herculaneum are a three block walk from the "Ercolano" station, which is also on the circumvesuviano route.

Old Apr 8th, 2001, 04:58 PM
wendy

I did Pompeii and then Herculeneum a week later and I will admit to being a little disappointed. If you're pressed for time, skip Herculeneum - it's not nearly as impressive or large as Pompeii, and Naples is wonderful city to explore.