Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   how to get to PARIS MONTPARNASSE 1 ET 2 from CDG (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/how-to-get-to-paris-montparnasse-1-et-2-from-cdg-728473/)

roadwarriorafrica Aug 13th, 2007 05:31 AM

how to get to PARIS MONTPARNASSE 1 ET 2 from CDG

I need to catch a train from PARIS MONTPARNASSE 1 ET 2 to Noirt in January 2008.

How do I get there from Charles De Gaulle Airport? If my flight from Dubai lands at 12:35 pm, would I have enough time to catch a train leaving PARIS MONTPARNASSE 1 ET 2 at 4:55pm?

Dukey Aug 13th, 2007 05:49 AM

I can relate our recent experience.

We arrived at CDG (Term 1) at 7:45 AM on a Friday and by 8:15 we had our luggage, had been through Customs/Immigration etc.

We had tickets on an 11:25 AM TGV to Bordeaux and since we had "so much time" decided to take the Air France bus to Montparnasse.

Since this was a weekday and there was lost of traffic both going into Paris and once we got into the city itself, our bus trip took two hours and 20 minutes.

If I had been in a hurry I would have strongly considered using the RER.

If you are arriving later in the morning I suspect the "traffic" might not be as much an issue as it turned out to be for us.

roadwarriorafrica Aug 13th, 2007 05:57 AM

Thanks Dukey

What is the RER?

Also how long would it take by road from CDG? We have an Emirates Car that could take us. Would this be the easiest option?

Dukey Aug 13th, 2007 06:06 AM

The easiest way to explain it is that the RER is the rail route into Paris
(www.ratp.com) so it would not be subject to traffic congestion as would any surface transport such as busses, shuttles, car services.

BUT....remember that we did this on a weekday morning and other times/other days may not be as bad.

With a car service...if the driver knows a route which would avoid the congestion it might be a viable alternative.

For the RER there is the issue of possible stairs and also the need to change at least once as I recall.

I am sure others will advise you as this is a longstanding "hot" topic on this board.

kerouac Aug 13th, 2007 06:43 AM

Under normal circumstances, the Air France bus is the most convenient way to get from CDG to Montparnasse.

If there is a risk of heavy traffic, the RER B is better. RER from CDG to Châtelet-Les Halles and transfer to metro line 4 through the Les Halles station (NOT the Châtelet station!). Anyway, the signs will take you in the direction of the Les Halles station. Escalators everywhere -- no stairs to climb at Les Halles. You can make it from CDG to Montparnasse in 45 minutes by rail.

Dukey Aug 13th, 2007 06:48 AM

Oh, and by the way, the AF bus lets you off a few feet from one of the station entrances...a piece of information I had one hell of a time trying to learn on this board last year.

rkkwan Aug 13th, 2007 07:55 AM

With that much time, I'll take the Air France Coach. Single ride, no transfer required.