How to get to my hotel?

Old Dec 29th, 2004, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to get to my hotel?

I am flying to Paris in MArch and had a few questions. First I am from Phoenix and dont own a big coat. Do I need one?? also how should I get to my hotel ( 14e ) from CDG? No taxis for me.. Do many people speak English??. Thank you
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 11:51 AM

Hi
if you check a weather website that has info on historical temps and precip
such as www.wunderground.com
you will I'm sure find that March can be pretty chilly. So can April for that matter.
At the very least you will want a lined raincoat or jacket that you can layer under. Suggest you buy a few things now (sweaters and such) at after-xmas sales on line.

Many people in Paris speak English, or there is someone nearby who does.
If you do take a taxi, not all cabdrivers do; you can ask someone at your hotel front desk to write your destination on a piece of paper and you can hand it to the driver.

I have a long file on Paris; if you'd like to see it, email me at
[email protected]
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 12:05 PM

Layers are a great idea. The last I was in Paris in April the temperature ranged from 30F to 60F - sometimes within the same day. There were even flurries at one point!

Take an RER train from the airport and then transfer to the Metro to reach your hotel (if needed - you might be near an RER station). Here's info on the RER and Metro:

http://www.ratp.info/informer/anglais/index.php
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 12:09 PM

I go to Paris once a year, normally (this year is the exception due to the Euro's strength. It is COLD in March, but the weather is Paris is highly unpredictable. When were were there 18 months ago in June it was the worst heat wave ever to hit and no air conditioners in sight. Our "clim" was virtually useless. So, yes, take a coat and layer. We were there a year go and just made sure to have layers on that we could remove. Take a scarf, hat and gloves.

Try Googling "Airport Shuttle". There are quite a few of them also, check out this website:

http://www.bonjourparis.com

They have a plethera of information dedicated to Paris.

Paris is beautiful, you will love it.

DD
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 12:13 PM

good point about the hat and gloves, it can make a big difference in how warm you feel. Also bring a small umbrella, extra socks, and waterproof shoes/boots would not go amiss. On line stores like Land's end and L L bean are having sales right now.
So are many other on line clothing stores.

Old Dec 29th, 2004, 12:47 PM

BlondieT3, if you are traveling light (1 bag per person) you could travel from CDG's Terminal 2 on the RER line B into Paris, and change to a metro if need be. The RER stops at Gare du Nord, Chatelet, St Michel and Denfert Rochereau for connections to the metro. Denfert Rochereau is in the 14th - what is your hotel?
Tickets for the RER are about 8Euro for one way and good for transferring to the metro (as long as you can do so without leaving the underground).
Otherwise, you could arrange a shuttle (www.parishuttle.com) instead of taking a taxi, for a little bit of savings (cost would be approx. 36Euro for 2, versus 50ishEuro for a taxi to the 14th).

As others have mentioned, it will be cold in March (approx. 30-40s in the morning, to high 50s in the afternoon). I live in Florida and do not have a heavy coat. I wear "cuddleduds" under my clothes, with long-sleeve turtleneck, pants/jeans, a jacket, hat and gloves. It might still be chilly at first but we walk a lot and that will warm you up. The interiors are usually overheated, so you end up peeling everything off in the stores or museums. Helps to have a tote with you to drop excess wraps in...
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 03:52 PM

Layering is an excellent suggestion. They way over heat things here in Paris. I can be wearing a heavy jacket and a scarf outside and strip down to a short sleeve shirt inside. Otherwise you will burn up.

The options from the airport are:

1. RER - Metro combo that has been well outlined.
2. Reserve a shuttle
3. Air France Bus

RER would be the cheapest followed by the Air France bus. It really depends on exactly where your hotel is as to which one to choose.

English is spoken but it is what i consider a MUST to learn a few very basic words and phrases. French people will be more inclined to speak English if you address them in French first. The first word out of your mouth to each and every person you deal with should be Bonjour or Bon Soir. Then you can say Do you speak english " Parlez vous anglais s'il vous plait?" ALWAYS end the conversation with "Merci, Aurevoir." If you do that you will have a MUCH more enjoyable trip.
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 07:24 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Everyone for your Helpful awnsers.. Travelnut could you please e mail me your E mail address? What does everyone think about Paris Disneyland??
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 10:42 PM

Disney..there is a recent thread so do a search. Those of us who have ACTUALLY GONE seem to have enjoyed it for what it is. Many of those who haven't love to trash it.

I've been several times but I would not forego Paris itself to spend time there especially if I had never been to Paris.
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 04:22 AM

Why no taxi? I travel with a raincoat and layer.
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 04:30 AM
ira

Hi B,

I sugget that you dress as if you were going to New York City.

You can get directions from Aeroport CDG to the address of your hotel at
http://www.ratp.info/informer/anglais/index.php

Click "station" for Aeroport CDG.

Old Jan 8th, 2005, 09:01 PM

I took the RER train to the metro when I arrived in Paris. It was a long haul and I was exhausted...it was also tough lugging my luggage around the stations.

Instead, I would highly recommend the AirFrance bus. I took the AirFrance bus on my return to the airport...MUCH BETTER! I just took the metro a few stops to one of the AirFrance pick-ups and got on a nice, clean, comfortable, airconditioned coach. It was such a treat that I wish I had done that on my way in. I forget how much it cost, but it was much less than a cab and very much worth it. Check their website for info.
Lots of people speak English. If you politely start with a phrase or two in French, then ask in French if someone speaks English. Should be no problem. I LOOOOVED Paris and I hope you have a great time!!!!!!
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 05:19 AM

BlondieT3, I did email you when you asked... just let me know if you think I can help you with something.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 05:45 AM

We take the Airport Shuttle- to and from. Easy to arrange before you leave USA and just a call the day before you leave Paris and they appear to take you to CDG.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 06:20 AM

In March, a sweater with a waterproof trench coat or anorak will probably be fine.

Where is your hotel? That makes some difference to how you get from CDG.

The only ways you can get to the city are:

Airport shuttle
RER B (suburban train)
Air France Bus #4

I would favor the AF, because it deposits you at Gare Montparnasse, right in the middle of the 14e. From there, you can either walk or take a short cab ride to your hotel.

If you don't have much luggage, the RER to a city bus would be more economical.