How to get to Hampton Palace - London

Jan 23rd, 2002, 07:10 PM
JamilaZ

How to get to Hampton Palace - London

Is there a way to go to Hampton Court Palace in London that is easy? I was thinking of taking the tube there, but need help. I heard the palace is huge, and don't want to feel rushed with a coach tour.

Jan 23rd, 2002, 07:31 PM
Kris

We took the train, their website says it leaves from Waterloo station twice every hour. The website for Hampton Court is www.hrp.org.uk. The train is within walking distance of Hampton Court, I believe you can see it from the train station.

Definitely go on your own. They have a self guided headset tour and tours with guides that are included with admission. I think you have to sign up for the guided ones.

The grounds are lovely and the maze is fun even for adults.

Jan 23rd, 2002, 07:36 PM
mimi taylor

If you are going in warmer weather take the boat.

Jan 23rd, 2002, 08:32 PM
JJ

Definitely go on your own instead of a tour. It's very simple - we went by train from Paddington (day return tickets). There are no changes that have to be made and the palace is within walking distance from the station.

Jan 24th, 2002, 05:18 AM
AnnaC

Just to clear up any confusion - trains to Hampton Court leave Waterloo about every half hour and take about half an hour. They do not go from Paddington (sorry JJ).

Jan 24th, 2002, 06:18 AM
Susan

We visited last winter (Feb.) and took the train from Waterloo. It is very easy. We were traveling with kids and they loved the train(we also took the train to Salisbury to see the cathedral and to see Stonehenge). You don't need a tour.

Jan 24th, 2002, 07:12 AM
grant

I did the train too. When you get out of the station turn right, and it is about a 5 minute walk. The Palace is interesting and takes a good couple of hours to get round. If it is a nice day you can spend even more time touring the gardens and generally lazing about.

Jan 24th, 2002, 07:28 AM
john

Definitely do it on your own and take the train - we took the tube/bus to get there which is very easy, but takes too long. Spend the extra money on the train and safe yourself the travel time.

Hampton Court can be an all day event - be prepared to walk, and walk, and walk, and ...

Jan 24th, 2002, 07:36 AM
annie

We took the train and arrived when the palace opened, and I have to admit, we helped lock the place up at the end of the day. Once you get there you can tour on your own, rent an audio guide or take a guided tour of the palace. I'm so glad we went, it would have been a shame to have missed it. Also, I'm not one for gift shops, but the shop at the palace had some very nice things, you might want to stop and check it out.

Jan 24th, 2002, 08:24 AM
janis

As others have said - take the train from Waterloo. As for Mimi's advice to take a boat -- don't take a boat TO Hampton Court Palace. Hampton is upstream from London and it takes longer since there is a strong currrent. But if the weather is nice, a boat ride BACK FROM Hampton Court Palace is a possibility if you have the time. Since it goes with the current the trip is 30-45 minutes less. It goes right from the palace to Westminster Pier - I enjoy this trip even more than the one to Greenwich.

Jan 24th, 2002, 08:27 AM
Tammy

I'm also planning a trip to Hampton Court Palace, is there a nice tea room at the Palace or nearby for afternoon tea? I thought about stopping at the Maids of Honour tea room at Kew on the way back by bus, but I'm afraid I'll run out of time.
Thanks.

Jan 24th, 2002, 11:51 AM
Jamila

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I will definitely take the train. I was thinking of taking a coach tour which includes both Windsor and Hampton Palace, but didn't want to be rushed. I know both places will take a while.

Jan 25th, 2002, 09:34 AM
carolyn

Tammy, we did a bus day tour to Windsor and Hampton Court, and tea was included in the HC portion. The tearoom was in a sort of garden room (pretty), and we were served a cold scone with packaged clotted cream and jam plus tea. It wasn't very good, but that may be because of being part of a group. Maids of Honour is wonderful.