Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   How to get to Cruise Port from Rome? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/how-to-get-to-cruise-port-from-rome-617161/)

kos May 20th, 2006 09:47 PM

How to get to Cruise Port from Rome?

We are cruising out of Rome with HAL in July. I've never been there and am so excited and busy planning. As we did not purchase hotel from HAL they will not sell us transfers from Rome to Port.

Would appreciate information about best way to get to port from Rome without spending a fortune (we already spent that on the flight and the cruise!!).

Thank you so much.

LoveItaly May 20th, 2006 10:20 PM

Hi kos, I have never taken a cruise in Europe but I have read there is a train from Rome to the port. Perhaps go on Google and do a search. Or use the search here on Fodor's although I have never had much luck with that. Hopefully someone else can give you more detailed info.

Steve_James May 21st, 2006 01:37 AM

Kos - The cheapest option is train to Civitavecchia.

Fare: approx. € 4.50
Journey time: about 1 hr

For timetables see:
www.trenitalia.com

Civitavecchia station is 1-1.5 miles from the dock - so you might want to take a taxi.

Hope this helps ...

Steve

kaleighsgram May 21st, 2006 03:26 AM

Doesn't HAL offer transfers from the airport to the port? I thought they did.

SeaUrchin May 21st, 2006 07:37 AM

you can also contact limo services that have been recommended on here, email around to get the best price.

kos May 21st, 2006 12:35 PM

Thank you to all for your response. I went to the website for the Rome Train System.

I will be staying near the Vatican prior to cruise and saw on map in my guidebook that there is a train station there called Stazione Vaticani. Was hoping I could take train from that station directly to port. However, when I type Stazione Vaticani into the Search on the Train website, I get an error message. As if this station does not exist.

Does anyone know if I can get to cruise port directly from station in Vatican City, or do I have to go back to Termini Station to catch train to cruise port?

Thank you.

cmenoni May 21st, 2006 01:08 PM

Upon arrival at the port city (Citt??), it is an EASY walk, all downhill, to the dock where the ships depart. Save the cab money for the return, UPHILL walk!!

patth May 21st, 2006 01:11 PM

Just a heads up: As Steve_James said, the Civitavecchia station is 1-1.5 miles from the dock. Taxi cabs can be in VERY short supply when cruise ships are boarding and disembarking. We had friends who had to walk from the dock to the station in temperatures over 100 degrees, dragging all their luggage--not a fun way to start or end a glorius vacation. I'd pretty much do anything to be able to pay for a driver and not have to worry about dealing with that situation, even give up my nightly cocktail at dinner ;).

SeaUrchin May 21st, 2006 01:50 PM

limoservicerome is 120 euro from downtown Rome to the docks.

If I were paying for a cruise I would dig a little deeper and hire a service and not schlep my luggage in July no less. But that is me and you is you.

kybourbon May 21st, 2006 01:53 PM

There is a train station in the Vatican (Stazione Vaticana), but this is private and you can't take a train from there (afaik). I think the Pope has a special train that uses this track.

There is a station right outside of the Vatican where you can catch a train to Civitavecchia. The station name should be entered as Roma S Peitro. Price of a ticket from S. Peitro to Civitavecchia is 3.7E.

kos May 21st, 2006 07:08 PM

Thank you for explaining that Stazione Vaticani is private, and telling me the name of the public station.

Thanks to all for your help.

WillTravel May 21st, 2006 07:19 PM

Slight correction to a typo - make that Roma S Pietro.

kos May 21st, 2006 07:22 PM

I copies Roma S Peitro into the departure box and got an error message.

Any ideas about that?

Thanks.

kybourbon May 21st, 2006 07:25 PM

Thanks WillTravel for correcting my double typo!

PIETRO not Peitro. Sorry!

kos May 21st, 2006 07:30 PM

I copied correct station name into box and voila it worked. So thank you.

New question: If I purchase tickets for a specific time, can I use the tickets earlier or later that day?

Thanks again.

PS How do you say voila in Italian?

kybourbon May 21st, 2006 07:33 PM

This link to the schedule should work.
http://tinyurl.com/g4djz

kybourbon May 21st, 2006 07:41 PM

This is an r train and you can't get seat reservations for r trains. Answers about tickets and length of time that they are valid. http://www.trenitalia.com/en/treni_s...html#biglietti
Be sure to punch your ticket in the machine before you board.

cruiseluv May 21st, 2006 08:10 PM

PS How do you say voila in Italian?

Ecco! or Eccolo!

BTW, I also would suggest that you hire a car service from your hotel to the port. I'm not even sure if those trains have space for lugagge.

kos May 21st, 2006 08:12 PM

When I typed in S Pietro to C -----
the site offered to sell me 2 tickets. So this must mean you can buy tickets online. What is an R train? I feel like I am from another planet.

Thank you.

Patricia May 21st, 2006 08:46 PM

Hi
Go to www.cruisecritic.com/ click on Boards, scroll down to roll calls then click on Holland America. There are sure to be many messages from others who are on your cruise and you may be lucky enough to find other folk looking to keep costs down and happy to share a shuttle from Rome to Civitavecchia. Have a wonderful trip.