Search

How to get to airport and other practical questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2013, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to get to airport and other practical questions

We will be in Rome a few days. I have a few questions we need answers to:

What's the most economical way to travel from our apartment (piazza del popolo) to the airport?

We aren't sure we want to visit the Vatican. We arent catholic and our budget is getting squeezed. Is it still possible to go without paying admission charges? Perhaps we can just see from the outside? Do we need our passports?

Can anyone recommend a grocery store in the piazza del popolo area? (Of course, we'll look for it but just wondering if anyone can recommend places to eat/buy food in that area)?

Thinking about getting the combo ticket for the forum and doing what Rick Steve's suggests (buying it from less crowded palatine hill). Anyone have a better idea?

After 13 days in Italy, we are homesick, tired and poorer . What can we expect from Rome? Any advice?
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 08:11 AM
ekc

You cannot go into the Vatican museums without paying for a ticket, but you can visit St. Peter's basilica for free.

Yes, I would purchase the ticket for the Forum at the Palatine Hill entrance, or the Forum entrance - much less of a line.

Just relax and take your time in Rome - it is an amazing city. I didn't think I would like Rome, but fell in love with out. But then again, I am never homesick when I am in Italy!
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 08:15 AM

There is not a charge to visit the basilica itself. Regardless of your faith, it is a stupendous site! The Vatican museum as well as the Scavi tour both have entrance fees.
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 08:24 AM

Take the subway, at Flaminio (closer but in the "wrong" direction) or at Spagna.
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 08:24 AM

To get to the airport economically, use the Metro and the train to the airport.
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 08:31 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
to add to what eck has said, whilst the Vatican city is indeed a separate state, you do not need a passport to enter, though as a number of posters never tire of reminding me, you should carry your identity papers [passport or whatever] with you in Italy at all times.

if you are going to St. Peter's unless you want to spend a loooong time in the queue to get through security, try to get there by 9 am. then you can tour the Basilica [a must, whatever your religious persuasion] and climb the Dome should you be so minded, without too many other people around. [there's a charge for the Dome, but it's less if you walk instead of using the lift. The lift only takes you 1/2 way anyway].

there's quite a lot you can do for free in Rome - virtually all of the churches including St. Peter's, the Pantheon, the wonderful piazzas, the little streets of the centro storico between the Via dei Coronari and the via del governo vecchio, climbing the Vittoriano Monument on the piazza Venezia, [though it's €7 to go to the top] climbing to the top of the Capitoline Hill to see the statue of Marcus Aurelius on his horse and looking round the church of Santa Maria in Aracoeli...crossing over into Trastevere via the Tiber island and exploring the bridges, seeing Santa Cecilia and Santa Maria in Trastevere, exploring the Ghetto......walking around the Borghese gardens,

hope that helps!
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 08:54 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>>What's the most economical way to travel from our apartment (piazza del popolo) to the airport?<<<

The most economical transport is the Sit Bus Shuttle which departs from behind Castel Sant'Angelo (not far from Piazza del Popolo). 5€. You select Via Crescenzio for that location (Piazza Cavour - walkable from Piazza del Popolo).

http://www.sitbusshuttle.com/en/

>>>Thinking about getting the combo ticket for the forum and doing what Rick Steve's suggests (buying it from less crowded palatine hill). Anyone have a better idea? <<<

All entrance tickets to the Colosseum/Forum/Palantine are combo - 12€. Covers all three sites over a two day period - one entry each area. If there is an exhibition, tickets can be higher. You don't have a choice about the exhibitions (usually an extra 3-5€).

>>>To get to the airport economically, use the Metro and the train to the airport.<<<

Metro is 1.50 and the train is 14€. Sit Bus is 5€.

>>>Can anyone recommend a grocery store in the piazza del popolo area?<<<

In the Spanish Steps metro is a large grocery (GS/Carrefour). A few minutes walk from Piazza del Popolo. If that's not close enough for you, scroll down this link until you get to the map and zoom into the area you want.

http://www.roninrome.com/%20shopping...stores-in-rome